Man am I doin it all wrong?

jimmyflames1
10+ year member

WV
Running appx 600Wrms. Run 10AWG 600V power and ground from battery to amps in trunk.

I know little about car wire. This wire I run is from when I worked as an electrician helper and had alot of wire left over. It is single strand. Looking at threads concerning wire it seems that this setup I have is less than Ideal.

I would have thought that wire would heat up if overloaded? This wire doesn't. Does it just cut power?

Going to be adding another 500wrms amp soon.

Didn't say what kind of vehicle. But I'm willing to bet 10 gauge is way to small for your needs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

thanks for the link. You dont know where a link to figure draw is do you? I searched and found one under ? about alternater being powerfull enough but dont understand it.

Yes sir, check this site out http://www.bcae1.com/ tons and tons of good info there. Check the menu bar on the right hand side for all kinds of topics. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just noticed, what part of the wild and wonderful are you from ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

thanks man;) Just called store. They said car only has a 70 amp alternator on it. Now I wonder if alternator will put out enough juice. Looks like I got some homework to do. Will end up with 2 amps 500wrms each/each running one svc 4 ohm 12 sub.

Also going to have a small mabey 100 w RMS sterio amp runinng 4 ohm speakers.

if the wire are using is house wire then I would pull it and change it to car audio wire or welding wire. THe wire house does sheilding is very thin. And will not stand up to the demand of an automotive environment and also also it is not very flexible. Which will become a pain in the ass when you are trying to run it.

small world. Lived about 5 miles from scott depot a few years ago in cross lanes. Still go there often. Liked it there better than downtown. About wire I'm using I think its more like industrial wire albiet probably for indoor use. It is desisigned like car wire. A bunch of little wires wrapped into one. Any rough guess as to draw this setep might have?

watts=volts * amps

~1100w = 14v X ampdraw

remeber that your amps, depending on class, are only 60% effiecent at best. so divide the amp draw by .6 to get actual amp draw.

1100=14*78

at formula I came up with amp draw of around 78. Then divide that by

.6 for a total of 46.8. Is that correct? Man that would be a constant draw? if playing at full throttle. Would need a bigger alt if I did the math right.

that is is at fulll tilt on playing sine waves. Real music will react different. It amp will pull about 75%- 60%, this also depens on the music you play.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.