• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 2K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
U

Unregistered

Has anyone ever tried making any RCA cables from Category 5 Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) or Shielded Twisted Pair (STP)?

I've been thinking about RCA cables, and it seems that Cat 5 cable would make a good cable, especially the STP. You could even wrap another layer of shielding around the outside of the cable or something to further protect it.

Good idea? I want some feedback on this idea.

I don't know about UTP, but STP is generally fairly stiff and difficult to work with, isn't it? Not sure you would want something that stiff in a car audio application.

Ok, I've heard conflicting views on this. But to the best of my knowledge, shielded signal cables are NOT advantageous in car audio. Unshielded Cat 5 rca cables have been shown to make very good signal cables. It is generally suggested to use a hand drill to twist the wire b4 attaching the rca ends.

Did it, Done it, Doing it again right now- Like it!

Just bought 100ft of CAT 5 to completely abuse.

Just to warn you though, you have to braid the twisted pairs to achieve the best possible results. - This can be extensively time consuming- as well as frustrating.

However, the cost and functionability is where it all pays off.

They work just as well, if not better than name brand cable- only inductance wise.

-there will be no audible difference.

Still- 6 ft CAT 5 - approximately $.50-.75

Two end connectors- $2.00

total cost $2.50-2.75

Manufacturers Price - $7.95

Savings $5.45- 5.20

Go for it.

take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.