Major Ground Loop Help Needed!

Participant count
  • Participant list

B1GR3DDD

Delaware
A few days ago I asked for help on fixing a ground loop. Well, after trying a remedy, my problems have gone from bad to worse.

Here's what it currently sounds like (apologies for **** quality, had to use old flip camera, phone was full):

Breaking down what happens in case it wasn't obvious enough:

-Normal high pitched whine heard at low volumes (not that it goes away at higher volumes, it just is drown out by the increased volume)

-VERY loud and annoying high pitched whine at "0" volume

-Loud whine and thump (from subs) when car is turned off

The only way I'll fix this is isolating the problem and working backwards to fix it obviously. So I ask:

What steps should I take to find the source(s) of my ground loop?

if it has a bad ground then yes.

its in the name ( ground loop )

not sure of your h/u has a pico fuse, but if it does it could be that.

but there are some that you cant get rid of that ground loop.

but i would try everything.

even ground the chassis of the h/u to the same ground as the harness.

also you need to list what you have done.

as we can only guess.

So far I've changed my RCA's to a better, more shielded type, grounded the headunits RCA's to the head units body, and tried regrounding the RCA's at the 4 channel and sub amplifier.

When testing, I was listening for the "thump" I was hearing when the car was turned off. When I removed the RCA's from the 4 channel amp's pass through to the sub amp, the thump was still audible, but less loud as the subs aren't playing it. When I removed the 4 RCA's that come from the head unit from the 4 channel amp, the thump was completely gone. Since when disconnecting the RCA's the sound was no longer audible, this leads me to believe that the root of the noise is stemming from "upstream" by either the RCA's (unlikely as I just replaced them) or the head unit (probable)

I noticed when testing while I had my back seat down that the "thump" I was hearing had a pattern to it, virtually identical to the sound of the "click off" that my 4 channel amp makes when it powers off.

You could have a speaker wire touching somewhere. If the noise is there without the Rca's hooked up the. The problem is on the output side, so go one by one each speaker wire and with your DMM on ohm setting and touch the black prob to ground and the other prob to 1 speaker wire, the wires should read 0 unless it's touching something which is causing your Interference. Time consuming but hopefully helps you pin point your problem

You could have a speaker wire touching somewhere. If the noise is there without the Rca's hooked up the. The problem is on the output side, so go one by one each speaker wire and with your DMM on ohm setting and touch the black prob to ground and the other prob to 1 speaker wire, the wires should read 0 unless it's touching something which is causing your Interference. Time consuming but hopefully helps you pin point your problem
The noise isn't there when the RCA's aren't connected, only when they are.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.