M3 convertible setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

bratva5
10+ year member

Anyone had any experience with E46 convertible BMW? I have an M3 and the stock Harman Kardon system *****. I want to replace all the speakers and sub+amp. Don't really want to replace the HU since I'm trying to keep a stock look. Any advise would be appriciated.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

you might want to hit up the bmw forum. There's plenty of info on this subject. I have an e36 m3 and it wasn't to bad to do but the audio. Its not a simple honda civic job but wasn't as hard as 1 would have thought.

Well, you can make a custom baffle for 6.5" components. 6.5" inch are the most popular sized mid-range.

Do you want to do a 2-way front stage or a 3-way front stage?

(the difference is: 2-way has tweeter and mid-range woofer. 3-way has tweeter, mid-high and mid-low range woofer.) If you don't want to cut into your car (I don't blame you), throw up a price on what you want for speakers and I'm sure one of us can recommend something. Personally, I'm a fanboi of Hertz Audio. But everyone has their own opinions.

As for integration for your stock head unit. Pioneer makes an integration processor (you re-route the speaker wires to hook up to it, and it acts as an EQ (so you can go active, if you want) and has RCA-outs. This is a bit costly at $80 dollars. A cheaper alternative is something called a 'Hi-Low Converter'. You can pick them up at nearly any local audio shop. This does the same thing, except is lower-grade. You need one per pair of speaker channels, and it turns into one pair of RCA out. They'll cost around $20 bucks. As for the quality of either, I'm not sure. I've only used them on my brother's truck, and he didn't spend much on the system, so I'm not too sure on the quality.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.