Low Voltage LED

streakz

I have a Kenwood Excelon KAC X201T wired to two Infinity 1220w. The amp has this indicator along with others. But the one that stumbles me is the low voltage LED.

Low Voltage LED: illuminates when power voltage falls below 11 volts. If the power returns to a normal level, this LED will blink to alert user to the fact that a voltage drop occurred. The number of blinks will indicate how often the power dropped below 11 volts up to a maximum of 10 times.

Does anyone know what causes this or how to prevent it? Because of this my amp shuts off at high volumes on my head unit. Would it have anything to do with the fact that my head unit is also powering four other speakers?

Yup battery/alternator prob. The amp is pulling more amps than the alt can provide, so the amp pulls from the battery. battery discharges from alt not being able to charge it fast enough, amp shuts off. To me it sounds like your in need of a new higher output alternator buddy. Or go to a shop and ask if they rewind alts. and see how much they will charge you to get your rewound to a higher output.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Chances are that you are dropping voltage for very small increments of time...you may just need a stiffing capacitor. Try one and see if that cures your issues...you should be able to fine one well under $100 for a standard cap without all the fancy lights and crap. See if you can borrow one from a buddy to see if it helps you.

That true but that's only a bandaid, it won't solve your problem... you honestly need to get a better battery and/or alternator. You might also check your connections.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.