LOW bass amps.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Thanks for a non condescending/smartas*ed reply. It's not the box because all i did was swap amps. Head unit is factory I'm using a line out converter, and the amp I have subsonic set to 10 hz and the low pass set to 80 hz.
ouch. Well the main thing with stock head units and factory line out convertors which we have 1000 threads like yours is again me explaining for the 1000th time on this forum(not your fault, just no one factors in real world factors when doing setups) So stock speakers are pretty low quality. Inside the stock head unit even though you dont have an option to change it, there is a high pass filter built straight into the head unit to protect the shitty factory speakers. So now you have a signal with the bass cut off. Now you are trying to boost that signal with an LOC, what happens is you get an overload of higher frequencies and really cut down low frequencies which explains your clipping at higher frequencies. Also boosting a weak cut off signal like that results in massive clipping and distortion. You should be overall louder across the spectrum but due the signal restraints, you are clipping prematurely before the amp can actually perform properly.

but this is why i ask if you can do the test I outlined earlier because your phone outputs a full range signal.

Everyone underestimates the power of a clean dedicated subwoofer signal from a head unit with a quality dac. You will definitely gain from swapping out a stock head unit with an actual head unit always from all the installs i've done. The head unit is THAT important.

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
Mar 14, 2011
Dixon, Ca
high pass on 10hz and low pass on 80hz. I asked in the other thread where is the level knob set to, the one on the far left?

What is your sub level control on the deck set to? Set to +8 to give you some wiggle room.

Maybe the level/gain needs to be set higher on the taramps.

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Al
You have a lack of control problem with your amplifier and the LOC. With the infinity amplifier you were most likely dropping your high pass filter lower and cutting off more of your ‘high bass’ (55-75hz) and increasing the gain. With the 80hz cut off on the Taramps, you are seeing clipping in the upper bass and setting the gain by that.

OP
I

Ilikebass1988

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2019
Indianapolis
ouch. Well the main thing with stock head units and factory line out convertors which we have 1000 threads like yours is again me explaining for the 1000th time on this forum(not your fault, just no one factors in real world factors when doing setups) So stock speakers are pretty low quality. Inside the stock head unit even though you dont have an option to change it, there is a high pass filter built straight into the head unit to protect the shitty factory speakers. So now you have a signal with the bass cut off. Now you are trying to boost that signal with an LOC, what happens is you get an overload of higher frequencies and really cut down low frequencies which explains your clipping at higher frequencies. Also boosting a weak cut off signal like that results in massive clipping and distortion. You should be overall louder across the spectrum but due the signal restraints, you are clipping prematurely before the amp can actually perform properly.

but this is why i ask if you can do the test I outlined earlier because your phone outputs a full range signal.

Everyone underestimates the power of a clean dedicated subwoofer signal from a head unit with a quality dac. You will definitely gain from swapping out a stock head unit with an actual head unit always from all the installs i've done. The head unit is THAT important.
Could I get by with a LC2i? I really don't want to swap the factory head unit

Bobbytwonames

CarAudio.com VIP
Aug 28, 2018
What amp do you recommend besides taramps for more power at lower frequencies?
Just get the TarampsMD30001
What amp do you recommend besides taramps for more power at lower frequencies?
Just get the Taramps MD30001. I just had one hooked up on a ABHD15D2 and it's absolutely obnoxious. The gain is at about 1/3 and my car can barely stay together. My box is 4 cubes net at 32hz. Great amp and great on borderline electrical. I only have a 95 amp alternator and I never drop below 13.0V.

Bobbytwonames

CarAudio.com VIP
Aug 28, 2018
Thanks for a non condescending/smartas*ed reply. It's not the box because all i did was swap amps. Head unit is factory I'm using a line out converter, and the amp I have subsonic set to 10 hz and the low pass set to 80 hz.
So, it's not the box, that's fine. Then, it's got to be something in the HU or the amp settings. Wasn't trying to be a smartass, my bad. The MD3K is a pretty sick amp.

Reactions: Ilikebass1988
OP
I

Ilikebass1988

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2019
Indianapolis
high pass on 10hz and low pass on 80hz. I asked in the other thread where is the level knob set to, the one on the far left?

What is your sub level control on the deck set to? Set to +8 to give you some wiggle room.

Maybe the level/gain needs to be set higher on the taramps.
The deck is some clarion stock head unit in my 2016 Subaru wrx. Afaik - there isn't a sub level control. And I have the gain nearly maxed out lol

OP
I

Ilikebass1988

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2019
Indianapolis
You have a lack of control problem with your amplifier and the LOC. With the infinity amplifier you were most likely dropping your high pass filter lower and cutting off more of your ‘high bass’ (55-75hz) and increasing the gain. With the 80hz cut off on the Taramps, you are seeing clipping in the upper bass and setting the gain by that.
Do you think a lc2i would suffice in my situation? I really want to retain stock HU, but If i absolutely must, I'll get a new head unit. And on the infinity amp i actually had the high pass higher around 90hz. It almost makes me think there's something wrong with the taramps

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Do you think a lc2i would suffice in my situation? I really want to retain stock HU, but If i absolutely must, I'll get a new head unit. And on the infinity amp i actually had the high pass higher around 90hz. It almost makes me think there's something wrong with the taramps
Lc2i does the exact same thing, amplifly a junk signal with the bass completely cut off. You can try it but make sure you are able to return it if it doesnt work.

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
You're gonna frustrate yourself trying to figure out this issue rather than buying an aftermarket HU....and don't have to deal with this problem or LOC. If it was me, that's what I would do.

Bobbytwonames

CarAudio.com VIP
Aug 28, 2018
You're gonna frustrate yourself trying to figure out this issue rather than buying an aftermarket HU....and don't have to deal with this problem or LOC. If it was me, that's what I would do.
You can get an aftermarket Kenwood HD receiver with 5v pre-outs and bluetooth for $100 or less. What is stopping you from doing that?

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
The alternative to a new headunit is existing signal de-equalization. An lc7i with signal summing might do that but for $120 spend a little extra and get new headunit. A single din is plenty but a proper double would look awesome in your vehicle and provide a strong signal with optimal sub tuning capabilities. It will probably make the output with that old kappa 1000 better than it was before.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)

• I
  • ilikeradios

Latest classifieds