Low and fast

roop
10+ year member

MN
I'm trying to decide what kind of subs I need to get. Originally I was looking at either a mk2 brahma, or some RE SEX's, but I think I may be going the wrong route.

I need a "fast" sub so to speak. I listen to a lot of speed metal and after reading up I think the two subs I thought about before may not be an ideal candidate. At the same time, I need to hit some pretty low notes, but I think that issue can be solved with box design.

Does anyone have any recommendations? How do I determine how "fast" a sub is?

Any input would be great, thanks!

So would is just come down to sub size and box design? I've heard in the past that a smaller sub is better for faster music. I don't know how much truth that merits but that's what I have been told.

i wouldnt say there is a "fast sub".

find the sub that fits your budget/ how much power you have to supply it and build a box with the proper specs for your music preference

Go for a driver with low inductance, low moving mass, and a healthy Xmax.
Seconded.

Though Le isn't an often published spec by most manufacturers, so it could be a bit hard to find one.

Two off the top of my head that would work, Alpine Type X, and JBL Wgti.

i wouldnt say there is a "fast sub".
find the sub that fits your budget/ how much power you have to supply it and build a box with the proper specs for your music preference
There is a "fast" sub. Low inductance is responsible for a fast rise time. That translates into the ability to play over a wider bandwidth, provided the soft parts are up to the task. Low mass, low inductance drivers reveal subtle complexities buried within the harmonic structures of music that are often masked over in less agile systems.

If I were you, I'd go with a larger sub sealed. I've got a pair of 15" MB Quarts sealed, and they have the authority to thump you in the chest, and still play down to 30hz with ease.

How would I find something with a low inductance if LE's aren't published? I'm just looking around at various subs right now and I have yet to see a figure for it.

I'm starting to lean towards a pair of SE10D2's based upon my budget. So unless I am totally wrong on thinking these will do what I want...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.