looking for some 8 inch sub suggestions

hmm, for some reason i dont trust Winisd right now. it is showing a -3 DB at about 40 hz for every driver in sealed. and when i toss a ported enclosure tuned to 28hz(for HT) the graph looks really weird. the best driver, acording to Winisd, is the 6.5 inch Tang Band that i currently have XD. anyone care to help a bit with the modeling? i had to add in all of the drivers using the T/S specs provided by their websites. i can list them here if anyone wants to give it a shot.

for box tuning i was using 28hz for the HT enclosure and a sealed for the car. i might end up dropping the tuning to 25 hz for the HT enclosure since thats what i currently have(i am actually tuned to 20 hz right now, but i am going to change back to 25.) and i was lookign at a 32hz box for the car, but i dont want anything too big in the trunk.

Matt

Do you want to keep a small sub for HT? If so I can see why go with an 8. If not, why not a 15? with that power it would be one beastly ht sub.

the reason im using an 8 inch for my HT is because my livingroom is **** near perfect for using a small sub. it is a small ish room with a sloped roof. and the slope is highest where the TV is. when i built the 6.5 tang band enclosure i had the sub behind the couch port facing along the floor sub facing up. but now i have the sub beside the TV. same port paralell to the floor sub facing up and i can make the windows rattle if i crank the power up. IF the price is right i might be able to get 2 8s for the home theater and another pair for the car. only problem is i dont want to take up the entire trunk with a box, and i am slightly limited on box size for the livingroom.

and what should i use to model for a car? ive always heard to use Winisd. but given the current graphs i have, it doesnt seem to be too acurate considering everyone's reviews on the drivers i am modeling....

so far with the enclosure tuned to 28hz the American bass and the TC sounds seem to model the best. when i drop the tuning to 25 hz or lower the SA8 and W7 model the best. so looks like i need to find a new modeling program and test those woofers again. NONE of the subs model very well in a sealed box.

Matt

yea, ive been looking at reviews and the top dogs are the SA-8 the American Bass 8 and the 8W7. i have heard the 8W7 and i would REALLY love to get 2. but for that money i can get like 4 SAs and an amp. still looking for some comparos involving the W7 SA-8 and the AB-8.

Matt

The 8w7 is nothing like the Sa and Ab. It is a sq sub that get decently loud. The 8w7 has a soft spider which is geared more to sq. Sa and Ab have stiff spiders. If you are looking for a harder hitting bass Sa and Ab are the way to go. Sa is built to take abuse and get loud. I've heard every size w7, and they are overpriced. One 12w7 cost way more than my 2 Sa15s. I'd say get the W7s if you like wasting money, but I would get the Sa v2. If it sounded like it was worth $650 for 2 w7 8s when you heard it, I'd say go for it.

the reason i am still considering the JL is this:

i have heard the 8W7 play in both a HT appliation as well as a car audio application and they bouth sounded fantastic. not to mention the W7 will allow me to use my smaller HT amp and sell my larger one. a W7 on 150W will be LOUDER than the SA or AB on 150W. however since i do have the power to run the SA or AB i would like to consider them still. from the reviews i can find the TC Epic 8 apears to be the best suited for my home theater needs. BUT i would rather get 2 of the same sub incase i decide i want to run 2 in my HT.

overall i am still stumped. Winisd is **** near uesless in this case, and i cannot find a better free program so that i can make a decision. i am going to keep looking at reviews and probobly will ned up making the decision on reviews alone.

and custom 8s would be fantastic. but unfortunatly some jackass rear-ended the misses last night in the publix parking lot. so this project just got pushed back a little bit. insurance deductible is $500 and the repair is only $560....

Matt

the reason i am still considering the JL is this:
i have heard the 8W7 play in both a HT appliation as well as a car audio application and they bouth sounded fantastic. not to mention the W7 will allow me to use my smaller HT amp and sell my larger one. a W7 on 150W will be LOUDER than the SA or AB on 150W. however since i do have the power to run the SA or AB i would like to consider them still. from the reviews i can find the TC Epic 8 apears to be the best suited for my home theater needs. BUT i would rather get 2 of the same sub incase i decide i want to run 2 in my HT.

overall i am still stumped. Winisd is **** near uesless in this case, and i cannot find a better free program so that i can make a decision. i am going to keep looking at reviews and probobly will ned up making the decision on reviews alone.

and custom 8s would be fantastic. but unfortunatly some jackass rear-ended the misses last night in the publix parking lot. so this project just got pushed back a little bit. insurance deductible is $500 and the repair is only $560....

Matt
I understand what you mean. I've also heard them in HT setups, but it is louder at 150 because it easier for the cone to get moving with the soft spider. Two Epics will be louder, but I think the w7 plays lower. Don't file the claim and pay the $560. Don't save $60 if it's going to raise your insurance rate.

had to file a claim, the car is still being paid for. and it wasnt her fault so our rate wont go up. but we still have to pay the deductible. and the first W7 i heard(was a V1) in a HT was in a 28hz box running ~200W in a room a little bigger than mine and it sounded great. the more recent one i heard (V2) was in a Tapped Horn. i have no idea what the horn was tuned too but it was on 400W and it actually broke the enclosure. there wasnt enough reinforcing and the MDF actually split in the center of the largest surface. but in the 5 minutes or so before it broke it was one hell of a ride.

if i can get the sound i want on only 150W i can sell my larger HT sub amp for about 1400 bux and make some cash. BUT its an older model and honestly i love it so i dont want to sell it. with that much power on hand it makes it ALOT harder not to throw a few 12s or 15s at it(which would end my life, the misses would KILL me). we will see what i can afford after this insurance BS. its looking like the SA and AB are winning the race with the W7 and the TC sounds bringing up a close 2nd. if the TC's Fs value is any indication of how low it will play the TC might end up going in the house with a SA-8 or AB-8 in my car.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.