Looking for amps for a 3 way active setup.

Alaskan_awd
10+ year member

Alaska
I'm looking for an amp, or a couple amps to power a 3 way active front stage. I already have an MS-8 for the processing so cross-overs won't matter.

Speakers:

Peerless SLS 6.5" (would like 150-200w)

Dayton RS100 4" (

Seas Prestige 27TFFNC/G's (I think I will try to power these off the MS-8 at first)

So it looks like an amp that will put out around 120-150w X4 at 4ohms will do.

If the MS-8 won't provide enough power for those tweeters, I could get a 4 channel for the mids and tweets and a 2 channel for the SLS's.

If I use multiple amps, I would like to stay within the same line of amps so they look the same. Also I will be adding a subwoofer in a few months so I will be looking to add another amp, probably around 1000w or less.

Total budget for powering the fronts is

mmats 6 channel
That looks like a very nice amp, and I would be able to power a sub off of it when I get it, however with an MSRP of $1200, it's completely out of my budget, any idea what these actually go for? If I could get an all in one amp and not have to purchase a separate amp for my sub, I could probably bump that budget up some, maybe $700, but not $1200.

Look for some old Xtant 2200xi's.....

Rated at 100 rms per...but of course do a bit more:up2somet:

I have 2 so I can vouch for them but they are rather big. Usually you can find them cheap, 140-200 range depending on condition.

For tweeters and mids get one of MB Quart REF4.50, MB Quart REF4.80 (rated 4x80, but is more like 4x110 from a test I have seen) or Boston Acoustics GT-475. All of these are discontinued, and all three are excellent. Prices online.. under $200 if you can find someone still carrying this old stock.

For midbass: PPI P600.2 or Soundstream TN2.600D. About 150watts RMS with 4ohm speaker. ~$150

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I am going to go with 2 Soundstream Ref4.400 for the fronts, and a different SS Reference for the sub after I figure out what driver I will be using.

mmats 6 channel
I'm looking for an amp, or a couple amps to power a 3 way active front stage. I already have an MS-8 for the processing so cross-overs won't matter.
Speakers:

Peerless SLS 6.5" (would like 150-200w)

Dayton RS100 4" (

Seas Prestige 27TFFNC/G's (I think I will try to power these off the MS-8 at first)

So it looks like an amp that will put out around 120-150w X4 at 4ohms will do.

If the MS-8 won't provide enough power for those tweeters, I could get a 4 channel for the mids and tweets and a 2 channel for the SLS's.

If I use multiple amps, I would like to stay within the same line of amps so they look the same. Also I will be adding a subwoofer in a few months so I will be looking to add another amp, probably around 1000w or less.

Total budget for powering the fronts is

The PPI Phantom 900.4, and if you need to add a 2 channel then get the Phantom 600.2. You should be able to get both amps for less than $500.

I have 2 Ref4.400's on the way, thanks though, they are on the cheaper side but from what I have read they should perform nicely, and they are rated at more power than I need so even if they need exactly 14.4v to do rated, it shouldn't be a problem, and I got them pretty darn cheap shipped to AK.

I'll bridge one for the midbass and use the other to power the mids & tweets.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.