Looking for a pair of good 12"

Stripes
10+ year member

I haven't looked at amps much yet. I'd like to start with some speaker ideas first. I'd like some nice bass, but also some SQL. I want the thumps to have tight endings. Any general suggestions for now before I start getting down to details?

Probably 100-125 per sub. I have been thinking about some Kicker CVR or some Alpine Types R's. Any comments / suggestions with these two ideas? Or any better suggestions? Thanks.

I don't want to spend over 400 on the setup though. I'd like to be running at 2 ohms with dual voice coils. Any suggestions? The Kickers look cheaper for the same quality, I've heard kicker and been satisfied. Just hard finding the 2 ohm ones, unless I can get a 1 ohm stable amp for a decent price for the 4 ohm CVRs.

OP I wouldnt suggest either... just keep looking around here for a bit and read up on some of the brands that us see here...

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Or buy my custom 12! hahaha

Alpine Type-R is a good beginner's choice between price, sound quality and SPL capability.

Or talk to that guy in the classified that has four 12" old school Orion XTRs for $200 shipped, those are pretty nice too.

The enclosure is very nicely built and modded just right for roughly 2CF per sub. Most subs I look at need at least 1.4CF I believe. It's ported, and slanted back to make everything sound right for my types of music. I really like Alpine and Kicker because I have known their brands and like the quality I have gotten, aside from (another post) a question of my Alpine CDA-105 head unit and High Pass Filters. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pissed.gif.9f665f96bc89e98e708dabd4580bb591.gif What are these SSA DCons? And are there any (new) Alpine Type-R preferably 2ohm that are in my price range? ($400 for 2 subs and the amp)

Thanks so far for the responses!

Single sub or dual sub does not matter. If you mean that you want to run a 2 ohm final load, then you need to have (2) Dual 2ohm subs. or (1) dual 4ohm sub.. the kicker subs are NOT known for SQ and can get muddy depending on which model you like. the R's are definately much better but there are subs on here in the classifieds section that are better than both.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

also, is there a way you can show us a pic of the enclosure so we know what were looking at? you can pretty much tell at a glance if it is a prefab box or not.

The box is not prefabricated. My brother built it for his Kicker CompVR 12-Inch woofers. They are 300 watts RMS per coil, dual voice coil. He talked with a Kicker support group and got the specs needed to get the most out of these subs. (Once again, like I said earlier, rougly 2.0CF per sub.)

Right now I am looking at :

2x Alpine SWR-1223D 12" Dual 2 ohm Type-R

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SWR-1223D-Dual-Type-R-Subwoofer/dp/B003KEI4D8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309183891&sr=8-1

OR

2x

Kicker CompVR 07CVR122 12-Inch 2-Ohm DVC Subwoofer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N8MW8W/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000N8MW8C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YRYEWRRCQJ25GX3PECN

Edit : Just got to looking, I am not sure if either of the specs from Amazon are saying that the Kicker and Alpines are 400 and 300 on the one voice coil or two? It says 400/800 and 300/600...I assume that meaning 1 coil, and both coils?

Now the Kicker CVRs are half the price, and yet 100Watts RMS more. Now I am aware that to double the amount of bass, you need 10x the wattage. However, when I am dealing with such a low number and budget...the Kickers looks like the way to go. Any opinions on this idea?

take any kicker sub outta the picture unless its the really old school ones or a solo x...type r's would be a good choice, and would prob get a little louder than the DCON's but the DCON's are gonna sound way better than both (assuming the box is good)

SSA Shop - SSA Dcon 12D4 subwoofer300rms

they're built in the USA too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

denim likes this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.