Looking for a new Head Unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Artemis

NY, NY
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 97' with the stock stereo and speakers. Im looking to replace the stereo with a new one. I have a Zune HD that I usually use for my music so mp3 player compatibility is a must, but I also listen to the radio.

I went to bestbuy to check out the stereo's they had, but they wanted over $100 to install them! I'd rather make a learning experience out of it, and try to learn myself.

I have no experience at all when it comes to cars, or electrical wiring. I've built my own computers and all that, but never worked on a car before.

How hard would it be to install it myself, and what would be the best stereo for my needs? My price range is anything less then $150 (Willing to be flexable though if it makes a big difference).

installing a head unit isnt hard at all really. basically just connecting green to green, yellow to yellow, and so on.

go to your local home depot or even radio shack i think might have some and pick up some vinyl butt connectors, make the install look and be 100x better than if you just taped the wires together.

Electrical Splices | Electrical Connectors | Categories

if you have built computers you should have crimpers? im just assuming.

and google or youtube a walkthrough of someone else installing a head unit in the same car as you. so you can see step by step on how to take apart the front of your dash where your deck is at.

im no where near being an expert but just my .02

hope this helped.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.