Looking for a clean, SQ 10" sub (perhaps two)

gtwo
10+ year member

Hey all. My apologies for this "dudes i need a sub tell me what to buy" thread; I assure you I've lurked around the forums for a while, but I think I have more questions than answers at this point. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Basically, I have a semi-decent setup at the moment, which really isn't working too well for my needs. I have the following:

Car: Mazda Protege MP3 (4 door sedan, decent amount of trunk space)

Amp: Pioneer Premier PRS-D2100T

Sub: Alpine Type-R 10" (1042D)

Box: Sealed, unknown dimensions

The amp is horrible and the sub, while great, could use an upgrade to something more SQ-oriented with better power handling. So I've heard the Fi Q series, Image Dynamics, JL Audio W6v2, some DDs, and others mentioned. The W6v2 is kind of where I'm leaning, but we all know there is better out there from brands which the average consumer hasn't heard of. Trying to stick with a single 10" if at all possible.

My budget is around $300 for the sub itself, and probably the same for the amp. Focus is exclusively SQ, I really don't care how "loud" it gets, just how clean it is with power to match. Also, perhaps I should switch to a ported box? This doesn't belong in this forum, but if anyone can recommend a good amp to pair with a suggested sub I'd appreciate that too. This Premier is just... not cutting it. Note: I may be able to grab a Kicker ZX750.1 from a friend soon, any thoughts on that? I've zero experience with Kicker.

Just looking for some recommendations or suggestions of routes to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i got a 10" icon and i love it =]

the kicker 750.1 would push the icon fine. if not, they got a couple of amps in the classifieds for sale within your budget.

i got a 10" icon and i love it =]
the kicker 750.1 would push the icon fine. if not, they got a couple of amps in the classifieds for sale within your budget.
The Icon looks great, but it seems they are sold out at the moment (although they are built to order?). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif SSA products seem to be highly recommended though, so I'll keep a lookout.

Creative Sound Solutios SDX 10.
Wow, these things aren't too bad. $140 new? Is this a "amazingly cheap but awesome" type deal?

I've heard of CSS, kind of, but only in reference to the SDX7, which I guess is a good way to get bass without using a sub (or in conjunction with a sub).

i have two rockford 10'' p2 subs for 100.00
From looking at RF's lineup, I think I'd want something in the Power group instead of the Punch one, like a T110D4. Thanks for the reply though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Wow, these things aren't too bad. $140 new? Is this a "amazingly cheap but awesome" type deal?
I've heard of CSS, kind of, but only in reference to the SDX7, which I guess is a good way to get bass without using a sub (or in conjunction with a sub).
Yes, very good subs at great prices. They use XBL^2 so they have a very linear BL curve as well as low, linear inductance which lets them play higher too.

Maybe a RE Audio SE might be a good one, although it's up there in the W6v2 price range.

I've got 2 IDQ10V2 D4's available, if you're interested.
I'm probably not going to be buying anything just yet (amp will come first, more than likely)... but I'll hit you up for sure when I'm ready to check on 'em.

If you're looking for a single 10" with more power handling, then the SDX10 isn't really what you're looking for. However, a pair would be right for you.

I dunno about the status of the Icon's (they are built to order....I'm sure they're still available), but they are excellent drivers. Not a bad option at all.

The W6V2 is also one of the best subs for what you're looking for. Bit more coin, though.

I am pretty partial to the W6v2, just because of the reputation JL Audio has, as well as the W6 itself for being a "musical" sub. I suppose I can clarify my request for suggestions to basically be, is there anything else I should take into consideration before grabbing a 10" W6v2? The IDQ and RE Audio SE seem to be the best matches.

I can't even believe nobody has suggested a Dayton HO 10 yet. The Dayton HO and IDQ are definitely the number 1 competitors for what he's searching for.

The Dayton HO 10 will handle 600wRMS and 1000 watts max, which is more than just about any other "SQ" 10 you'll find. I run the Dayton myself and I love it! It blends seamlessly with my front stage and can keep up with even the fastest double bass and rhythm. All the while still offering a decent low end that can really get my mirrors and seats moving pretty well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I run mine off a PDX1.600 and couldn't be happier with how I spent my money!

Dayton HO 10

Not to mention it's much under your budget, so you can spend more money elsewhere in sound deadener or other components!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.