Looking for a 12 inch subwoofer that matches my amp!

Good day to you all, I’m Dennis 28 years old and I’m from The Netherlands.

I own a 2005 3-doors Toyota corolla (hatchback) and my current audio system is as follows:

Amp: Audison lrx 5.1k (provides 1150 watt rms @ 2 ohm to the subwoofer channel)

Front speakers: JL Audio C2-650

Rear speakers: JL Audio C2-650X

Subwoofer: JBL GTO1204BR

HU: JVC KW-AV61BT

I would like to upgrade my subwoofer, because the JBL sounds ok, but not as hard, low and clean hitting as I would like.

My demands:

- 12 inch

- Minimum 600 watt RMS / Max 1100 watt RMS

- I will built it in a ported, self build box.

- Budget = 300 USD

- Clean (no muddy bass), fast and hard hitting.

I already found 2 subs that got my attention:

- Alpine R-W12D4 (265 USD) 750 watt RMS

- Hertz HX300D (300 USD) 600 watt RMS

But I’m not sure if they have enough RMS to match my amp?

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Good day to you all, I’m Dennis 28 years old and I’m from The Netherlands.I own a 2005 3-doors Toyota corolla (hatchback) and my current audio system is as follows:

I would like to upgrade my subwoofer, because the JBL sounds ok, but not as hard, low and clean hitting as I would like.

My demands:

- 12 inch

- Budget = 300 USD

What amp do you have? It is ok to have an amp with more power that is needed, that creates headroom. So that you don't over work the amp, trying to make it produce what it can't.

Yeah the type R would be a good choice i believe. Any other beter subs that can be recommended?
if u were here there are other subs we could recommend see my fu 750 avatar they on sale $150 (peeps run 2krms to those, i have 1100rms to mine) but we don't know what options u have there.. only thing i can think of u maybe able to find is american bass xfl $178 here of course u need d4 for 2 ohm amp and remember most 12" subs need 2-2.5cf after all wood port and sub displacement.. this is my 2.1cf ad box make sure u have room
1bYhPBP.jpg

Good day to you all, I’m Dennis 28 years old and I’m from The Netherlands.I own a 2005 3-doors Toyota corolla (hatchback) and my current audio system is as follows:

HU: JVC KW-AV61BT

My demands:

- 12 inch

- Budget = 300 USD

I know this is over your budget but look into the SSA ICON 12". $325 plus idk how much for shipping but Im pretty sure its better than the Alpine Type R.

Im going to guess you have Ground Zero, and Sundown Audio available from other users posting from your region. I dont know anything about GZ as ive never had my hands on them, but they look stout. However, i do have experience with the Sundown SA-12 and they are great in the right box. If you can get them local without shipping, im thinking they are a viable option.

Edit: The SA-12 has a 2.5" coil that can take 1000 watts easy daily without clipping.. after impedance rise, youll probably end up pushing 600 - 700 watts anyhow, which is fairly good for said subwoofer.

The Type R is a solid choice. I have a Sundown SA-12 myself in a ported 2 cubic foot enclosure with a 33 Hz tune, and 1000 watts on it. The the Sundown SA-12 is definitely a subwoofer that needs a proper box. It sounds great in this ported box but not so good in a sealed box. I’ve heard a FU Audio 750 15” in a ported box, and it was loud on 900 watts.

Put the time and money into building a proply designed and built box. The best subwoofer can sound like junk in the wrong box.

The Type R is a solid choice. I have a Sundown SA-12 myself in a ported 2 cubic foot enclosure with a 33 Hz tune, and 1000 watts on it. The the Sundown SA-12 is definitely a subwoofer that needs a proper box. It sounds great in this ported box but not so good in a sealed box. I’ve heard a FU Audio 750 15” in a ported box, and it was loud on 900 watts.
Put the time and money into building a proply designed and built box. The best subwoofer can sound like junk in the wrong box.
Youve got to consider availability to OPs region..

Shipping would put a boss sub over budget lol

Thank you guys for the replies, I checked but most of those brands are not sold in my region.

About the Alpine R series; does anybody know how this sub sounds in a sealed box?

My plan is to built a ported box because the sub will go lower and harder, but I’m just wondering..

My experience with sealed boxes is that they are not so hard hitting. But it also depends what you expecting I guess.

I listen to all kinds of music, but most of it is Hip Hop with al lot of slow low frequencies. But I also listen to music like Techno/house/hardstyle, which requires fast bass.

The JBL that I own now sounds muddy and not clean with techno music. that’s why I’m wondering if a sealed box would be a better choice for me.

But I do believe that the alpine in a ported box will sound way better and cleaner than the JBL... So maybe ported is the best allrounder then...

Oh and any thoughts about the Hertz woofer; type HX 300D?

Thank you guys for the replies, I checked but most of those brands are not sold in my region.About the Alpine R series; does anybody know how this sub sounds in a sealed box?

My plan is to built a ported box because the sub will go lower and harder, but I’m just wondering..

My experience with sealed boxes is that they are not so hard hitting. But it also depends what you expecting I guess.

I listen to all kinds of music, but most of it is Hip Hop with al lot of slow low frequencies. But I also listen to music like Techno/house/hardstyle, which requires fast bass.

The JBL that I own now sounds muddy and not clean with techno music. that’s why I’m wondering if a sealed box would be a better choice for me.

But I do believe that the alpine in a ported box will sound way better and cleaner than the JBL... So maybe ported is the best allrounder then...

Oh and any thoughts about the Hertz woofer; type HX 300D?
the type-r will work well for your needs esp if you build the box correctly. they are snappy subs but can play low, just dont handle the super lows as well as sundown or FU. Youll be happy with it, im pretty sure

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.