looking for 15'' L7 output without the big price tag...any suggestions

Bocephus
10+ year member

ND
i am installing an outside stereo in my RV. i have a couple 12'' comp vrs in a sealed box hooked up right now. the output is ok, but nothing special. i want something that can keep up with my highs when i crank it up....the lonely comp vrs are not doing it for me.

i thought about getting a ported enclosure for the 2 comp vrs, but the box is going to be getting pretty large, and i dont have alot of room to work with (width and height wise)....depth is almost unlimited because it is in the storage compartment in the front of my 5th wheel.

one of my buddies has a 15'' L7 in a vented enclosure, so we took it out of his trunk and put it in place of my comp vrs. WOW....what a difference. not sure if it is the vented enclosure, the larger diameter sub, or just the fact it is a much more powerful sub.

now, i know i will have to use a fairly large enclosure for a 15 L7, but i can make it as deep as i need to while keeping my width and height manageable.

so, i did some research online and found that the L7 15s are not all that cheap, especially if buying from an authorized dealer. so back to my original question.....is there something out there that has comparable output of a 15'' L7, but with a more manageable price tag? i have 850w rms at 4 ohms to deal with.... this is an outdoor system, so SQ is not a priority. it will be stored inside and does not need to be "marine approved"

or should i ditch that idea all together and keep my 12'' comp vrs, but a ported enclosure, and try to accommodate the wide enclosure.....?

whats your budget as those really aren't THAT expensive.. honestly wood is $50 so you can make a box with a removable face plate so if the comps don't live up to it you can get a different sub and just make a new front plate.

Answer to your question: A lot

I'd say start looking into SSa Dcon/Xcons, Sundown's SA series, lower series of Fi, and I'l let the other members chime in on where to go from there

In the right box, you could get the vr's to sound as good or better the the L5 box you heard. I would spend the money on a design and a correct box. The woofers you have really arent that bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.