looking at the free box plans and have a question

Participant count
  • Participant list

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
ok so i have these 2 10" subs from an old pioneer bookshelf speaker. the encosures they came in are trashed but the subs themseves still work for being 15-20 years old. so im going to build a box for them and use them in my HT settup.

i was looking at the 2 cubes @ 27hz box and since i cant get ANY specs on these drivers except for RMS power i dont know their displacment or anything. and ATM im lacking any buckets or anything to try and measure their displacment. my question is once i put the drivers in the box(im doubeling the box size. so it will end up at 4 cubes @27hz so to speak. or i could be wrong.....) how will their displacment adjust the tuning? if im not mistaken it will raise the tuning, which isnt that big of a deal but id like to be at 27 or 28 hz and im too lazy to try and design a box with no T/S specs or anything as simple as Xmax. right now they are in a smallish sealed box from an old project that probobly leaks and they sound decent, so i figured im getting some free wood might as well make them a box that looks nice.

all in all i think 2 cubes is a bit much for a 10 but since i want low tuning and i really cant make a generic box with no specs im going to wing it and hope for the best. hell, if anyone happens to feel like making a generic plan for 2 10s @ ~27hz with this arrangment: Imageshack - 2cubes27hz24sqin6nl.png i would love you forever. :)

and that link is the 2 cubes at 27hz box i was looking at.

Matt

anyone? just need to know if im on the right track here. and i know that tuning so low will make the output in the higher range feel less "punchy" and i may loose some output, but thats what my little Tapped horn 6.5 sub is for.

Matt

ok so i did some WinISD modeling and since i have no idea the T/S specs i picked a random 10" woofer. for some reason when i model 2 10s in a 4 cube box tuned to 27hz my output at tuning will be -2.5 db. but unless im crazy the plans call for a total of ~41 inches of port with a 2"X12" port(since im doubeling the box i just made the port 2X24) when i model to match the port length is says my tuning is 25 hz. sigh, i guess ill just build the **** box and deal with it. might end up going with the 1.65@28 box instead.

Matt

no, they are actually subs. the bookshelfs had 2 speakers in each. one was the sub and the other was a 5 inch 2 way. i checked the built in crossover and these were crossed at ~120hz which is a bit high.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.