Looked at the guts of my amp, Anything seem abnormal?

xmakeafistx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Kenosha, WI
IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

Does anybody notice anything irregular?

I thought the doughnut like components looked a little unwound.. All of the stuff around it is glue.

Any comments on this would be great, just wondering if there is anything wrong with my amp. It seemed there wasn't that much output when I first used it. I got a steal on it.. so I figured there may have been something wrong. It works perfectly fine other than that. I was thinking maybe a misaligned gain knob?

EDIT: The warranty seal was not broken when I bought this, so I know it has not been tampered with.

I am no expert, but it looks fine to me. As far as low output. Use a dmm and a tone to set your gains. This could help to see if anything is wrong with the amp. And check your line out level the same way. I'd check everything I could, before suspecteing the amp.

I mean nothing looked burned from what I could tell, I didn't smell it either. Also I'm almost positive its not my line out, but I think i'm going to set my gains with a DMM and see where that gets me.

I need to find out what my amp puts out at 8 ohms though, is there any equation for this?

I mean nothing looked burned from what I could tell, I didn't smell it either. Also I'm almost positive its not my line out, but I think i'm going to set my gains with a DMM and see where that gets me.
I need to find out what my amp puts out at 8 ohms though, is there any equation for this?
Normally half what it does at 4 ohms. Amps are limited by the rail voltage or current. So your voltage can't go over this amount or it clips. At 8 ohms your amp will draw half the current that it would at 4. And so half the watts.

What amp do you have? And what are you pushing at 8 ohms?

Its all in my current signature. This is a Hifonics BXI 2010d, and i'm running it to an older RE8 at 8 ohms.

Sorry.. probably should have listed the amp earlier.

ok by the board it looks like a bxi1610d . those winds look just fine to me.

the glue is from running it in a harsh enviroment. it wont hurt anything but it sure does look goood

I am wondering if your amp doesn't like running at 8 ohms. I don't see why it wouldn't though. If your sub is a dvc I'd try wiring it to 2 ohms and just set the gains with a dmm.

It also had the same issue when I was running it at 1.3 ohms, not as bad though..

Like, On my BXI 1210d it pushed harder than this one when the gains were barley under half.. & this one to get the same output I had to put it to about 3/4ths.

Although, I am going to try to wire it down to 2 ohms to see if I get better results, because the impact of less output on 8 ohms seems a lot more noticeable..

You will be happy at 2ohms for your sub.8ohms is like running a home theater of most.Amp guts look fine from what I can tell.Run at 2ohms, and see how it does.It is stable,and should perform quite well.I wouldnt be surprised that as the bass hits at 2ohms, that youd find unwanted dirt from the bottom of the surface of the trunk/rear deck..Lol 2ohms is where you need be at to get that woofer to sing.

Don't open your amp if you don't know what you're doing. If you thought the glue that keeps your torroids from shaking loose from the board during the bass they make was anything other than what it is, you shouldn't be opening your amp. Your amp is weak because it's a hifonics and it's running at 8 ohms. /thread

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.