Look for an orion xtr 2500

This is such a classic argument, too. I remember back in the old school days when some guys didn't want to use Soundstream Reference due the unregulated power supplies. But wow did those sound great on music and look at the "garbage" dynamic numbers they make. Not so impressive numbers for the sustained power output, actually a little below. The old Orion stuff was the same way, lower than expected for RMS but real nice dynamic burst numbers.

Again, this comes down to application. On this SPL forum, not many will be interested in dynamic performance but that has a direct impact on music. Tones, not so much. You need the tightly regulated power supplies for that. Of course, the bigger picture is how reliable any of these amps will be in their respective applications. Pick the type you need and feed it the proper voltage/current for the long haul. Beyond that, it comes down to responsible usage. Even an Audiopipe should last if all of this is taken into consideration. Okay...maybe not. But you see whumsayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, under normal circumstances with proper electrical I think it's a solid amp. I can agree that if the user knows what they are doing and doesn't abuse it, it will be fine. But for the vast majority of people (myself included) I like having the added comfort of knowing my amp is overbuilt and will last me.
Now you guys have me wanting to pick one of these up to compare side by side with my other amps though.

And Jeff has a point in it making certified power and the efficiency just by backing off a hair more from clipping. I didn't pay enough attention to the video I suppose.
I could send you mine for testing if you promise to be good to it. If you blow it, you just have to help me buy the 4000.1, lol.

My thing is if i cant wire to 0.5 or lower and subject it to 11v from time to time, it isnt useful in my application. I like to abuse **** and not worry.

I ran my dd m3 at 0.5 on stock alt for 4 years railing on it daily. Thing lived around 12v

My thing is if i cant wire to 0.5 or lower and subject it to 11v from time to time, it isnt useful in my application. I like to abuse **** and not worry.
I ran my dd m3 at 0.5 on stock alt for 4 years railing on it daily. Thing lived around 12v
That's pretty impressive. There's no denying that overbuilt is the way to go for bulletproof, peace-of-mind, reliability.
I don't think you could get away with starving this amplifier on the regular.

thats straight up the taramps bass 12k lol... can go down to 7 volts and wire to .25 ohms ON music.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.