LOL I hate to ask

Malazan
10+ year member

Colorado
I know you guys get tired of this question, but I just can’t seem to narrow down a subwoofer choice

Number of subs preferred: 2

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 12

Budget: Whatever but within reason

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Sundown SAZ3000d 1600@2ohms
Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 1 cubic foot per sub

Goals: nice SQ and bass impact

Listening habits:100% Heavy Metal, Classic Rock

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: Not picky, just no garbage brands

The 2 12’s are going in a sealed enclosure in a 4dr Wrangler

I know you guys get tired of this question, but I just can’t seem to narrow down a subwoofer choice

Number of subs preferred: 2

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 12

Budget: Whatever but within reason

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Sundown SAZ3000d 1600@2ohms
Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 1 cubic foot per sub

Goals: nice SQ and bass impact

Listening habits:100% Heavy Metal, Classic Rock

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: Not picky, just no garbage brands

The 2 12’s are going in a sealed enclosure in a 4dr Wrangler

Your listening habbits are pretty convenient for the space you have, since sealed sound great on bass guitars and kick drums. So you're looking for 2 subs that can be in a 2 ohm configuration close to 800w rms each and do well in a sealed enclosure.

Just a quick crutchfield result. Curious why you're choosing 2 ohms on that amp, isn't it 1 ohm stable @ 3000W?

Not sure my electrical will get me to 3000 watts. I have definitely been toying with the idea of 1 ohm. Does it affect SQ?

I have done the big 3, but I only have a 160 amp alternator right now

I was thinking 2 IA LI’s or FI Xv3’s if I went 1 ohm

Not sure my electrical will get me to 3000 watts. I have definitely been toying with the idea of 1 ohm. Does it affect SQ?

I have done the big 3, but I only have a 160 amp alternator right now

I was thinking 2 IA LI’s or FI Xv3’s if I went 1 ohm
Ah, well 3000 is a bit much for a stock system. If you're not looking to change anything else with the car then 2 ohms is reasonable.

Skar SVR-12s for the price range would be okay, not great. Alpines I linked earlier for the middle price range. https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-subwoofers-spl_show-300d/ for upper price range. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion above that range, I don't do competition level sound but I have a hertz SX 380D that I'm very happy with the SQ in a sealed enclosure, especially for the type of music you're talking about.

Edit: Ditched the T5 low end for Skar low end.

Last edited:
I’m not against going to a more powerful alternator and upgrading battery
In that case I suggest you either take slo_ride's advice with the subs or wait for more feedback. I'm not super familiar with the upper power range subwoofers, but I see a lot of folks mentioning brands I've never heard of particularly at high wattage.

just asking why 12's? wouldn't a pair of tens be better for rock and metal? I've found the sound of 2 10's to almost always feel a little tighter and cleaner than 12's assuming both setups were in correct boxes for that goal

I've been doing alot of research on subs that can get loud while still sounding good in a small enclosure recently. at the top of my list is the ssa gcon / icon and the stereo integrity sql-12, although I have only been able to find some pre production reviews on it si seems to be well liked.

I personally would rather do 1 sub ported vs 2 sealed. The Korean sundown amps are powerhouses for sure do you already own that amp or is that what you plan on getting?

I already have amp wired up, everything is ready to go , just need some subs. Already have enclosure also

The subs I’ve looked at are

IA Flatlyne
IA LI
DC Level 2
SA SD-3
Alpine type R
FI Xv3
PSI 1

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.