Line Drivers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Winter_C
10+ year member

Teh Pinto Driver
Can someone explain what a Line Driver actully does? I know this is probably a noob question...but I have never used one, and my buddy has one, just wondering if it'd actully help my system at all if I hooked it up...whats the benefit of them? And are they worth using?

Thanks.

Can someone explain what a Line Driver actully does? I know this is probably a noob question...but I have never used one, and my buddy has one, just wondering if it'd actully help my system at all if I hooked it up...whats the benefit of them? And are they worth using?
Thanks.
They increase the voltage on your preamp. Lets say your head unit has 2 volt preamp. Well a line driver will boost your signal to 6 volts or more. It allows you to run your gains lower.

If it allows you to run your gains lower, wouldn't that mean it's louder at higher gains?
Right but now you're amplifying the amplified pre-amplifier. The louder you're going to get at higher gains is going to have some noise and potential clipping.

If it allows you to run your gains lower, wouldn't that mean it's louder at higher gains?
gain =/= volume

It means you can set the gain lower and still get the same amount of output, go above that (in either case) and you'll clip the signal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.