Line Drivers?!? Whats out there?

Participant count
  • Participant list

teenapp
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Virginia
I have a Alpine 505 head unit and it only gives about 2.5 volts signal, Looking to add a line driver, would like to connect all 3 amps so id need 6ch total, input and output, also never really used these b4. I was looking some guidance from the folks who have as to what to look for was hoping to get at least 10 volts per amp............ So let me know. Help is appreciated!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I have a Alpine 505 head unit and it only gives about 2.5 volts signal, Looking to add a line driver, would like to connect all 3 amps so id need 6ch total, input and output, also never really used these b4. I was looking some guidance from the folks who have as to what to look for was hoping to get at least 10 volts per amp............ So let me know. Help is appreciated!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Sounds like you need to tune your system correctly.

And 10v input is too much for a lot of amplifiers, so don't go frying the input circuit.

Ok here is my situation, i sold a line driver that I had originally purchased for myself, well his sounds WAY louder with it than without it, so I was thinkn I would add one myself. When I say way, I mean it seems to be 3 times louder....... so thats why i was interested in snatching one up! Just trying to get a stronger signal to my amps

Oh boy.

If your system requires more than 2.5 volts of signal strength to adequately reduce the noise floor to inaudible levels, you have a larger problem to deal with than simply pumping more voltage through your RCA's.

But that's not the case here, apparently. You seem to only want more output from your system, and mistakenly think higher signal voltage will allow this. It wont, at all. Not even a little bit. Any amount you raise your signal voltage will need to be compensated at the amplifier via adjusting the gains down, to avoid clipping. The end result of this balancing act is the same output potential for the system, but an increase in the difference between the noise floor and the actual signal level. That's it. No extra output, just less noise.

In short, you are confused, and should not purchase anything until you learn more about the subject.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.