Line Driver???

singlefordrange
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Right now i have a Type R with a mojo on the way. I have a sony xplod head unit putin out about 1volt undistorted....my amp is turned about half way up and i am gettin significant dims as is. I am going to run the big three after the weather warms up a bit but if i get a line driver, will this make my amp draw more current causing more dimming or will it change dimming at all?

Thanks for your help.

Caleb

My amp is 2300 wrms...will if it doesn't help with dimming, will it worsen it?
Well if you get a line driver you will be showing the amp a higher voltage signal in.Meaning the amp will be more efficient but it also create more current draw do to the slight increase in wattage output depending on brand.It might be a trade off as well.More efficient amp,less currant draw more output.I think if anything you may see more dimming...

As far as the dimming goes get a new batt(deep cycle),alt or add a second batt.Not much else will help because your system is pulling more then it can push.Hope this helps......

Well if you get a line driver you will be showing the amp a higher voltage signal in.Meaning the amp will be more efficient but it also create more current draw do to the slight increase in wattage output depending on brand.It might be a trade off as well.More efficient amp,less currant draw more output.I think if anything you may see more dimming...
All completely wrong.

The output stage of the amp determines the efficiency of the amp and the input signal voltage has nothing to do with the output stage. The input stage is a negligible portion of the amps power consumption and is the only thing affected by the input voltage. Increasing the input signal beyond what is required to get ful power from the amp will not increase the power output of the amp and nothing haveing anything to do with the signal voltage will have any effect on the amps efficiency.

All completely wrong.
The output stage of the amp determines the efficiency of the amp and the input signal voltage has nothing to do with the output stage. The input stage is a negligible portion of the amps power consumption and is the only thing affected by the input voltage. Increasing the input signal beyond what is required to get ful power from the amp will not increase the power output of the amp and nothing haveing anything to do with the signal voltage will have any effect on the amps efficiency.
U sure about that?

im not sure I understand this correctly but your telling me that If,I was to run a 2 volt signal as apposed to 6 volts into an amp,that will clip at 8 volts,I would not see a difference in the amps behavior?I find that very hard to believe,When the signal going into the amp is the starting of it all(gain)

NOTE:I see this possibly going on forever so I would like to add that after your next reply, I will not respond.I am not disrespecting you in anyway.I hope we can leave it at that.No post dumping lol

U sure about that?im not sure I understand this correctly but your telling me that If,I was to run a 2 volt signal as apposed to 6 volts into an amp,that will clip at 8 volts,I would not see a difference in the amps behavior?I find that very hard to believe,When the signal going into the amp is the starting of it all(gain)
The functinon of the input (preamp) stage of the amp is to match the signal voltage to what the output stage needs to make full power without clipping, nothing more nothing less. If the gain is set correctly, the voltage getting to the output stage is the same. All the gain control does is make sure that this is so. As long the signal voltage is within the sensitivity range of the amp the only difference between high signal voltage and low signal voltage is the s/n ratio of the signal. No effect on the power output of the amp or its efficiency.

The functinon of the input (preamp) stage of the amp is to match the signal voltage to what the output stage needs to make full power without clipping, nothing more nothing less. If the gain is set correctly, the voltage getting to the output stage is the same. All the gain control does is make sure that this is so. As long the signal voltage is within the sensitivity range of the amp the only difference between high signal voltage and low signal voltage is the s/n ratio of the signal. No effect on the power output of the amp or its efficiency.
so in the end it just changes where you'd have your gain knob at to achieve full power from the amp. wouldnt need the gain as high with a higher input signal. now i hear a higher preamp voltage CAN help reduce background noise, but anything over 4v you wont really notice a diferance. this correct?

In most systems, anything over 2V and you won't notice a difference. At low volume the HU is only putting out a few millivolts anyway. If you have the gain cranked, you might pick up some of the floor noise, but chances are you will also clip the crap out of the amp once you turn it up. Pretty much any decent HU will have more than enough preamp voltage to prevent having to crank the gain enough to bring out the noise floor.

Right now i have a Type R with a mojo on the way. I have a sony xplod head unit putin out about 1volt undistorted....my amp is turned about half way up and i am gettin significant dims as is. I am going to run the big three after the weather warms up a bit but if i get a line driver, will this make my amp draw more current causing more dimming or will it change dimming at all?
Thanks for your help.

Caleb
only 1 way to know for sure, try 1?

U sure about that?im not sure I understand this correctly but your telling me that If,I was to run a 2 volt signal as apposed to 6 volts into an amp,that will clip at 8 volts,I would not see a difference in the amps behavior?I find that very hard to believe,When the signal going into the amp is the starting of it all(gain)

NOTE:I see this possibly going on forever so I would like to add that after your next reply, I will not respond.I am not disrespecting you in anyway.I hope we can leave it at that.No post dumping lol
all a gain does is match the signal from the source. it doesn't effect the output of the amp if it's matched correctly. so with a 2 volt signal, you match your gains for 2 volt and the same for 4 volt, and with properly matched gains at each, the output is the same and the current drawn will be the same

so in the end it just changes where you'd have your gain knob at to achieve full power from the amp. wouldnt need the gain as high with a higher input signal. now i hear a higher preamp voltage CAN help reduce background noise, but anything over 4v you wont really notice a diferance. this correct?
what higher preouts can do is bandage the noise. since you don't have to turn your gains as high with higher preouts, you are basically not amplifying the noise. it's still there, you just can't hear it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.