Lincoln Continental help!

jeeper07
5,000+ posts

Rebuilding&Reconstruc ting
I am currently stuck. I have a 1998 lincoln continental that broke a spring and needs new suspension. I cant seem to get the old shock tube out of the knuckle to remove it from the car. Im not sure if there is something i need to take off or try it a different way. Also there seems to be a gauge or sensor for the air shocks that im not sure how to remove. Any help on this would be great as I am very close to being able to take the old strut/spring out.

Here are some pictures for any insight.

CIMG3685.jpg

CIMG3686.jpg

CIMG3684.jpg

CIMG3682.jpg

Thats easy. Were you took the pinch bolt out of down at the bottum of the strut. Take a chisle wedge shape hit inbetween the cap. That will release some pressure. Next take a big hammer and hit downward on the spindle there. Might wanna pop the tie rod end off to justfor some extra leveage.

Might of miss spelled a few things who cares.

ive tried that with no luck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I need to figure out what the plug into the strut is and how to take it out.

ive tried that with no luck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I need to figure out what the plug into the strut is and how to take it out.
Well you need to drink some muscle milk then and get big lol. Or use a bigger hammer. And you spread open that pinch too on the back side.

Also that is most liley either a level sensor built into the shock there , Im nto sure on that one. My thinking is it either twists one way and pulls out. Or the black parts pulls off in some way and you unscrew the rest being it has flat spots on it like a nut/bolt.

Take a some flat head screw drive pry up on the plastic rubber part peak underneath see what it is. I will look this up when Im work.

that plug will pull out. if you cant get it out, follow the plug and disconnect it from the other end. Its an electronic ride quality sensor. Like audio ATG said you just need to keep working on it and put a little umphhh behind it.

good luck, been there done that on my old '95...

I ended up getting a passive strut conversion form StrutMasters, WELL worth the money!! I think that whole kit cost me about as much as one air shock would have cost at the time. When I did mine I removed the nut/bolt and and sprayed the hell out of it with PB blaster. I let that soak for a couple hours then I cam back and heated it up a little bit with a torch, put a chisel on my air hammer and opened up that gap a little bit. Then all it took was a couple swift hits with a 5lb hammer and she popped right out.

I hate that style!! We where working on a taurus that has that same setup and we COULD NOT get it out for the life of us! I mean we spent a good week trying o get it to come out. then we had it towed to a shop and they had it for a couple days with no success. I finally got pissed and just cut it apart with a little cut off wheel. even after we cut a big chunk out of it (like probably a good 120* or so) it STILL wouldn't budge. ended up replacing the knuckle along with the struts obviously...

good luck, been there done that on my old '95...
I ended up getting a passive strut conversion form StrutMasters, WELL worth the money!! I think that whole kit cost me about as much as one air shock would have cost at the time. When I did mine I removed the nut/bolt and and sprayed the hell out of it with PB blaster. I let that soak for a couple hours then I cam back and heated it up a little bit with a torch, put a chisel on my air hammer and opened up that gap a little bit. Then all it took was a couple swift hits with a 5lb hammer and she popped right out.

I hate that style!! We where working on a taurus that has that same setup and we COULD NOT get it out for the life of us! I mean we spent a good week trying o get it to come out. then we had it towed to a shop and they had it for a couple days with no success. I finally got pissed and just cut it apart with a little cut off wheel. even after we cut a big chunk out of it (like probably a good 120* or so) it STILL wouldn't budge. ended up replacing the knuckle along with the struts obviously...
Dude that shop **** balls then. Lets say they could get it out by hammering it. Worse case take it all out and press the thing out of the knuckle. But still I never had a problem with them. And I worked on some old cluckers too.

Dude that shop **** balls then. Lets say they could get it out by hammering it. Worse case take it all out and press the thing out of the knuckle. But still I never had a problem with them. And I worked on some old cluckers too.
LOL... not that easy...

Never worked on one of these, but when ever I want something out of a hole I heat it up. I'm not sure if you can do that. But if you can heat it up and hit the S#$% out of it. if it went togaether it can come apart.

as have I... sometime **** just DOES NOT work like it is suppose to. I was lead technician at AAMCO for over two years and the only car to ever pown my ass was a 1995 continental....
I guess my hammer is just bigger then yours then. I dunno what else to say.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.