Lights dimming

microhaxo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MINNESOTA
I have posted this topic a few times and each time getting different answers..

here are the facts:

its 8 degrees here.

my battery has 650 CCA

My amp is a sony xm-2200gtx

im running 500w rms exactly verified via DMM and 50hz tone

using 4 gauge

130amp alternator

BIG 3 upgrade

14.4 volt at the battery

here is my dimming..

So im guessing its...

cold battery but what do you think for 500w of power.

i think you have a grounding problem with your amp.. maybe a better ground or bigger wires.. what gauge is your ground.. you shouldn't have dimming with that big of an alt and that low of watts.. im running around 1400 and have a 100amp alt and thats what mine looks like.. i need another battery

maybe if you un-do the big 3, and use like 8 gauge wire, your headlights will totally go out, then back on, to the pulse of the bass, and kids will think its suppose to do that.

especially if you had neons that would look cool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

check your grounds, and if you havent, sand it to the bare metal. Also 8 degrees shouldnt play that much of a problem, some, but not THAT much. Sounds like its your ground, or either it takes that much power for your amp to pull to push that much....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Well the amp is rated at a 80a max load, i doubt its reaching 80a, i would say 60 is more likely because i had a 60a glass fuse as temp on my line for a few days and it never blew.

Edit also, the volume in the vids is what i normally play at, 19 but it dims also at 16 but not nearly as bad.

I think the alternator isn't putting out what it is supposed to OR somewhere, there is a bad ground.

95% of all problems are because of some sort of grounding issue (This statistic was made up to prove my own point)

But seriously, almost all problems are because of grounds.

Scrape all paint, secure using the Trifecta of screws, crimp using a vice or REAL 4/0 gauge crimper.

Alright, i finally got around to see if it was the ground that was causing the problems.. I made a new ground spot and sanded the **** out of it, and i polished it so its nice and shiny metal. Used two self taps to secure it and decided to test her out.. Here is my second video showing that i dont believe it fixed or helped anything at all.

BTW here are some MISC variables to consider:

Temperature: 31 f compared to 8 f before.

time is earlier 6pm vs 9 pm(not as dark)

Bass was actually stronger than before but not by much, maybe half a db or 1.

So idk what is the deal. The battery is kickin 14.1 volts, car starts up perfect, 130amp alternator.. big 3 good ground.. Could it really be my amp?

What kind of car do you own?

Does your car have a computer regulated alternator?

If so, you need an external regulator.

Have your Alt load tested to verify it can put out 130 amps. Autozones usually do this for free.

I have a ford taurus 95 lx. I think i might have autozone test it, i bought the alternator from them.

Edit: i dont think that the cars computer regulates my amperage or voltage, im at 14.1v at idle or drive, never drops unless i listen to music.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.