Lights dimming, adding bat?

I've read that HID lights actually do better against dimming over regular lights. People who had regular lights that would dim would stop dimming after they upgraded to HID.
yea the ballist's help.. i didnt have dimming even before the HID's allso so i was just throwing it out there.

I was just coming on here to find the answer to a similar question. After upgrading my sub, I started getting some dimming, too. And I plan on putting another in soon. I was going to buy a Yellow Top tomorrow, but I'm not sure if the battery or the alternator would be the wisest choice.

Mainly, I'm not sure if you can use one without the other. Does a YT battery NEED the HO alternator? Is a HO alt too much for a standard battery?

I have done my Big three with 1/0 and at the moment have a 4ga running from the battery to the distro block. Will change that to 1/0 this weekend.

I'm seeing some people on here say battery, some say alternator...

99 Tahoe 2wd 350 small block. zx250 85wx2, zx750 750wx1

I've read that HID lights actually do better against dimming over regular lights. People who had regular lights that would dim would stop dimming after they upgraded to HID.
not really, I put HIDs in my truck and it they dim just as much... but I am running stock alt and batt and my wiring has to be re-done... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Newer Vehicles are usually PCM controlled, meaning that the Computer tells the alt to send however many amps your needing at the time. The more the load, the more the amps. As far as too many amps, I'll let someone else chime in on that.

its cheaper to do the big 3 anyways.....Than if that doesnt solve the dimming issue, get a new batt.
What I still don't know is: can a stock alternator (I think it's 100 or 105a, but I don't know) keep a Yellow Top charged? Or is that too much battery for the alt. I'll just be running one battery, not two. If I get the battery, it'll just run on the stock alt for a few weeks. But I don't want to burn up my alt or end up with a dead battery either... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

a batt is a batt. Ur car needs one batt to run, and it doesnt matter what kind, they all give out 12 volts.(unless ur doing big things with higher voltages.) When u add more batts to a stock alt, thats when u might have issues. THe alt cant charge all the batts at once, thats when u need to upgrade alts.

But if ur just replacing the front batt, u have no worries man.

They are hooked off of the front battery, your charging system in your vehicle keeps them charged.
x2 also If you got an Autozone near , they charge them for free in about an hour. FREE! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

This is what ive learned since asking the same questions. ...

one... you can never have too big an alt.

two.... it wouldnt have nearly as much an effect if you put a deepcycle in teh back if you still have a leadacid in the front, do the hood battery first.

three....do big three helps voltage drops a lot.

four.....next step would be better alt or batt in back.

i am only runnign about 1500 watts and i did big 3 and upgraded to a 160 alt. using a stock battery i get only minor.

a batt is a batt. Ur car needs one batt to run, and it doesnt matter what kind, they all give out 12 volts.(unless ur doing big things with higher voltages.) When u add more batts to a stock alt, thats when u might have issues. THe alt cant charge all the batts at once, thats when u need to upgrade alts.
But if ur just replacing the front batt, u have no worries man.
Thanks! I just needed the reassurance before I went and spent ~$200 on the thing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.