Leaving your amp connected.

Mexar
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Alberta
Had a really cold spell here during the winter, and the amp decided to make some funny stuff happen to my subs when the car turned on in the really cold. I never EVER had a problem with my old RF amp, no matter what the temp was, so this was a new problem. Running a Vr2000D amp, didn't have time to putz with it and it was BLEEPIN cold, so I just unplugged the remote turn on and never touched the power / ground wires.

Now fast forward 4 months, installed a new HU, and decided I wanted my bass back, so I load the box back into the car, turn the amp back on and whammo clipped into protection. Turn the gains down a bit, plays good for 20 mins, turn the gain up a touch to get some bass again, blam, protection.

Turn it off over night, still in protection in the morning, drive for maybe 5 minutes, amp kicks on and I've got nice clear bass, then back into protection. It flipped in and out of protection about 6 times in 10 minutes (No where to pull over and d/c it again)

So what I'm wondering, is did the clipping mess it up bad, the cold weather screw something up internally, or did leaving the power/gnd wires hooked up for months and not using it fry caps or something inside (unlikely because it was never truly "ON" without the remote switch, but hey)

I've had problems with zenon based amps going bad from just sitting idle like that for some reason they would heat up on me. Maybe it was just a problem with my set up but I always atleast unhook the positive from under the hood, rcas and remote.

Same pre-out voltage as the previous HU that was in there, and the subs never came out of the box, so the wiring stayed the same as they were before.

Another question, very simliar... I have an older Rockford amp that worked the day I took it out, it went into a plastic storage bin, for a year and a bit, then took it out hooked it up and it didn't work... any ideas on that too?

Well, I re-did the wiring on my subs (put the DMM on my coils while I was at it, all good) took it from a 1 to a 4ohm final load on the amp.

Instead of putting both wires into the speaker outputs on the amp, I put 1 in each side (It's a mono amp with parallel outs... I think) and adjusted the gains. With the subs barely moving **** thing went into protection.

I think I figured out the problem, the amp is sensing overpower to the subs or something, and is turning itself off, voltage was steady at 14.1 with the car running. The only thing I can think of, is this box is a fair bit bigger than my last one (5.1 vs 3.8).

We'll try it like this for a while, but I might have to build a smaller box and put some more power on these bad boys, I'm only giving them about 300w RMS each at the MOST right now, and they can handle 750w supposively lol.

So, I've been playing with this a bit more, no closer to knowing wtf is going on, but more information if it might help someone help me lol.

The amp doesn't fire up right as the deck does, like it should, it takes about 2-3 seconds after the song starts to put out some bass. The louder it tries to play, the faster it goes back into protection.

While it's in protection, the little red LED is solid and steady, the green LED is flashing about 10 times a second (Like flickering on and off, almost like it's constantly trying to come on but can't).

Also, some times it won't turn on at all, stays in protection, usually after an over-night sit, it'll come on, play fine at low volumes (longest test is 10 minutes), then when I turn the car off and back on, it won't turn on again until it's had a few hours to sit (the overnight part)

If it helps, I used to have it set by DMM running a 1ohm load, and it never had problems before. Changed it back to a 4ohm load now to see if that helped, nada.

Well I hope you learned a lesson to take the amp out instead of leaving it plugged into power for 4 months while not using it.

Who knows what happened. Electronics do strange things sometimes.

Technically speaking, leaving it hooked up shouldn't have been the cause of this. That's what the remote wire is for. but yea, don't really know what's going on, gonna pop the cover and check the caps in it, maybe replace 'em if there's nothing else obviously wrong

have you checked all the connections like ground and fuse connections because mine ground Wehr i gridded the metal crowded over the winter and as soon as it tried to consume any power it went in to protect

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.