Learned alot on Friday

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
So i learned alot on Friday from a few guys on here (Thanks Guys). I learned that with the wiring i had even with a sundown saz 2000d i was not getting 2k rms. which now makes me scared for sub. So Im changing my wiring in my truck. So ima Look for a amp that does about 1800 @ 1 ohm. I seen the audiopipe 1800.1 i know by what people say that these do rated at 1 ohm. or Im open to suggestions.

so you are changing the wire for a bigger amp, and not getting the amp you wanted to run? makes sence. those amps are worlds apart in performance and price. dont lie to kick it, its was more then you can afford pal, sundown.

na im not buying another sundown. my sundown i had was stolen. but i didnt have big enough wire. so im going down to a bigger better wire to improve current and getting a amp that will give me the full out put of both amp and sub.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

im going with put copper 1/0. our auto store sells it. and its true gauge

is it better to have a bigger fuse then amp requires?

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

because i just got a 250a. ( not installed yet)

the fuse just has to be between the amp rating, and the wire rating. if the fuse is big enough for the amp, i have not seen anything bigger allowing more power. what are you planning? 1/0? 2/0? why drop to an 1800 when you will have a 250? you can still feed 2500, and a bit higher, depending on the amp with that new alt.

just kinda scared for the sub now because all this time i been thinking the sundown was probly doing like 22 -2300rms. but then i was told the 4 gauge was probly not allowing 2000rms though the wire. so ima play it on the safe side a bit more

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

and going with 1/0 gauge

Go with 1/0 and the Sundown. What electrical are you running in your car? Extra batts? High output alt? I would get the SAZ1500 over the AP1800 still if you want to drop down a size.

just kinda scared for the sub now because all this time i been thinking the sundown was probly doing like 22 -2300rms. but then i was told the 4 gauge was probly not allowing 2000rms though the wire. so ima play it on the safe side a bit more 

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

and going with 1/0 gauge
Who were you hanging out with? 4 gauge will limit your power a good amount, but you would surprised as to what that amp was pushing. Again, the wire is a limiting factor. However, to think that the amp will not "over work" itself (or over work the wire) to produce power is wrong. I have tested this theory several times and even done a few clamp tests with just 4 gauge wire to see how my theory held up. It held up about 90% of what I thought. With that said, I have gotten 4 gauge so hot it melted plastic and amps so hot you wouldn't dare touch them during these tests and I do not suggest using lower quality wire or a smaller size then recommended, I just wanted to see how the wire affected the amplifier and its abilities.

I'm still unsure on how you are "scared" of an amp. Perhaps I'm just reading this wrong?

the guys i was talking were on here. and i was told that 4 gauge would not handle 2krms and that i was probly only getting 1k out of my saz2000d. when they said it it made me the that maybe the sub is not as strong as i thought. which makes me want to ber more carefull. the wire never got hot or melted and neither did the amp. there were no signs of the amp overworking or wire being over worked EVER out of times i checked it

^^^^ and heat on wire creates an escalating effect. first, you get the heat, then it cooks the surface, and the wire ampacity drops, while resistance rises. again it gets hot allot easier, with less current, and voltage drops are rampid. in no time at all, some brand new 8awg can handle more current than your cooked 4awg...

the guys i was talking were on here. and i was told that 4 gauge would not handle 2krms and that i was probly only getting 1k out of my saz2000d. when they said it it made me the that maybe the sub is not as strong as i thought. which makes me want to ber more carefull. the wire never got hot or melted and neither did the amp. there were no signs of the amp overworking or wire being over worked EVER out of times i checked it
Then I would take what they said with a grain of salt a bit. I'm not saying they are not right or anything like that, but no need to just blindly trust anyone with out your own research. I have used many HDC subs and I throw a good amount of power around at them. They do have some limiting factors, but they can take a large amount of power. The last time I used them(less then a month ago) I was using an AQ3500D at 1/2 ohm daily with clamped burped power at 47hz of 4865 watts with rise to 1.7(ish) ohms. They lasted and worked just fine until I tuned way low to see how long the suspension would last while playing 15hz cycles. Answer.....not very long what so ever with that kind of power.

To think you were only getting 1k is a bit odd as I would put money on it that your setup would have had much more power then that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.