leak seal as deadener?

It's only good for sealing leaks. There are spray-on sound damping products, but they're much more than a rubber coating. You need something designed and constructed for the purpose of damping vibrations if you're going to spend any time and money treating your trunk, doors, or any other area of your vehicle. Even that is only one treatment that should be followed up with others, as we need to dampen vibrations, kill rattles, and block and absorb noise.

Read up at Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown before you buy anything.

I had 2 free gallons, and I got a 1996 Camry....so I figured why not? Stripped the interior, and coated the inside of the doors with a thick layer, then the entire floor of the car. Gave it a couple hours to tack up during which time I washed my hands 100 times. Then, I used these rolls of 6” asphalt-based adhesive roof tape I scored from a dumpster. Layered it right over doubled up and used a roller to really mold it in there. Then sealed the door holes with fiberglass panels (again from a audio shop dumpster) I’d also layered with the 6” tape, being sure to use spray contact adhesive so it wouldn’t come loose from the fiberglass. Finally, another find... jute automotive carpet padding to fill floor pan gaps and level it all out flat. Sitting here admiring my work.

In a few days after it’s all dried and gases off well, I’ll go in with the carpeting. Seat covers from a 2019 Civic, as well as the center console, steering wheel with controls, some dash panels, and he doors from the civic, too. Oh, and upgraded from 14” to 16” wheels off the civic, also. LED headlight bulbs are in there now, but jacked projector HIDs from the shop dumpster, too....And about 50’ of 0AWG and 80’ of 4AWG wire to string.

But before touching it, road noise came in at 73dB. After leakstop and asphalt tape I’m down to 45db, I’ll report back on new numbers when I get he carpet and padding done.

IMO....it’s a damn fine difference. Especially for FREE!!!!! MWA HAHAHAHA!

Here’s the floor after the leak stop stuff

This is a good alternative to the high dollar stuff. It might seem like a lot of money, but you get 112 square feet of 40 mil. It's basically high dollar window flashing. I've used it on many multi-million dollar houses that I was framing.
Screenshot_20191026-130629_Google.jpg

It works, and, is quite a bit cheaper than your name brand deadeners. Don't be afraid of it. If it works on million dollar houses, it will work on your 20k whip.

Did you completely skip the links I provided showing 100s of hours of testing every deadener on the market at the time that showed peel and seal was worthless as a sound deadener, smelled horrible, and would not stick to surfaces after heat was added? You can also Google plenty of other failed applications from people who thought it would work as a sound deadening material.

Peel and seal is old news and has a long history of horror stories, personally I'd go with Noico as a budget option.
I understand the desire to save a dollar, but cheaping out with peel and seal?

peel and seal is definitely worthless in car audio. You can have 4 or 5 layers of it and it wont even amount to 1 layer of proper deadener. so you are literally wasting more money on an inferior product that wont last and doesnt do the job properly. the links popwarhomie shows all the research and evidence, please read. The quality control on peel and seal is pretty horrid too, so many bad batches that have been left out too long and the adhesive is junk out the box.

This is definitely one of those cases where you try to save a dollar but end up causing a big asphalt mess that you have to clean out and redo with proper deadener later on. Consult the several hundred threads of horror stories on here, facebook, youtube, and other car audio websites about peel and seal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.