Laws on Subwoofer loudness...street bumping.

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 20K
U

Unregistered

Does anyone know any laws pertaining to the noise of your subwoofer emits while it is on the street ?

I live in Southern California and one of my friends says a cop told him if they can hear either bass or tweeters within 50 ft. from your car, then they'll give you a ticket.

I've also heard it can not exceed a certain decible.

So what are the laws then?

thanks!

I study law enforcement in Minnesota. Many cops here have DB meters in their squads and measure the noise a vehicle makes. Whether it's loud exhaust or music, there is a $75 fine for noise pollution. The noise level has to reach a certain DB within a short distance from the vehicle in order for it to be a violation. After 11pm the standards increase.

It all depends on who, when, and where. The cops kinda just decide weather its to loud or not, just be smart about it.

Yea here in Texas it is about the same. If the cops feel like it, or they get a complaint from some old lady, they will harass you. I am not sure what kind of fine you would get or if it is even legal for them to give you anything other than disturbing the peace.

I live in Minnesota and own one cop in our town has a db tester and i dont think they are able to ticket without one.My bestfriends dad is a cop and ill ask him to make sure but our town pretty smaller. We have like 10 cops so it isnt that small but our closest big town (duluth) has much stricker laws on noise because lots of people have systems and afew of them wrecked it for everyone but just being annoyin and drivin around over and over. In my town i dont know anyone that has got a ticket and in duluth everyone i know that has a big system has at least one. So dont be a dumbass about it and mess it up for everyone. Dont go around and around in the same area and it probly wont piss people off.

later

I feel so at home... everybody's from Minnesota! Duluth and Lakeville have the HOTTEST girls in the state. In fact, I'll be up there this weekend to visit friends at UMD. **** those cops... I guess I won't find out the dB limit until I get ticketed for it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I don't bother anybody with loud systems.........matter of fact i'll stop em just to see what they got in the trunk.........lololol. I don't know many of our guys that will even bother with that. All depends on the personality of the Trooper.

Turn it up if I'm around...........lololol:)

There is a time to thump and a time not to thump. If your idea is thumping through the good ole neighborhood, then yeah you deserve a ticket. I live in the boondocks, but I am in the city quite a bit, and it's like you can't even eat dinner w/o your windows shaking every 5 min. I know I'm guilty of showing off a new system, but more people get offended, and what's the point of having the police after you all the time, or pulling up near you with their window down, daring you to show em up. I keep my bump inside my car, and if I feel like turning it up, then I wait until I get on the highway.

I don't bother anybody with loud systems.........matter of fact i'll stop em just to see what they got in the trunk.........lololol. I don't know many of our guys that will even bother with that. All depends on the personality of the Trooper.
With all due respect:

Why would you, as a law enforcement officer, encourage people to break the law? Let me ask you this question: If you clocked a sports car doing 130 mph, in a 50, would you pull them over and say let me see what you got under the hood. Then let them go, after they were endangering peoples lives. I know d@mn well you would take them to jail, or write them a big ticket. So why be biased, and let a person breaking the laws with their system get away with it. I look at car audio as a sport, do you want a football game being played in your living room. I don't think so, so why make people think it's okay to boom away, which affects many households. Seriously, you need to re-evaluate your priorities, and enforce the law where applicable.

Whatever. I respect cops who don't pull you over for little sh*t like that. They've got thirty vehicles going 100mph right next to them. Loud sound is the LEAST of their problems (unless it's the wrong place at the wrong time... like 3am in a neighborhood). Don't be so anal about 'his priorities.' You have a problem? Make a citizen's arrest against someone being too loud for you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

lol i have never heard of or seen a person get pulled over from playing music to loud...i guess cause in the bayarea everyone has D**M system to many people to ticket. The cops out here already have there hand full. With murders, speeding peeps, etc. So much goes on in oakland, sf, richmon, san jose. Just to much going on. Mostly in Oakland you have side show and then in san jose or milptas you have the import and american street car races. by the way this is all in (california)

Listen people on the agenda of police business.........trust me.........Loud music is waaaaaaaaaay at the the bottom.......99 percent of us don't even care. However should i stop this vehicle and criminal activity be afoot (ie. drugs/alcohol) then we have a problem.

The only time i (or any other officer i know) have actually written that ticket rooted from a complaint filed by a few members of a small community where the teen lived. He would bump his system when he washed AND waxed his car in his driveway and late nights 2 a.m. when his buddy's came to hang out.

When somebody complains, that's different.

NEXT:

If you clocked a sports car doing 130 mph, in a 50, would you pull them over and say let me see what you got under the hood
NO, BECAUSE YOU PUT IT VERY NICELY FOR ME:

they were endangering peoples lives.
See, that's a big difference.........loudness is a minor inconvenience that goes away. On the other hand excessive speed has been known to kill or injure not only the operator, but uninvolved motorists as well. I have never heard of anyone being killed by loud music.

Next:

. Seriously, you need to re-evaluate your priorities, and enforce the law where applicable.
I really don't appreciate being told how to do my job......if you feel so strongly, perhaps you coul become an officer and decide exactly how much time you wish to allocate to stopping the nation's overwhelming epidemic of noise pollution. After you've solved that problem, you can move right along to the rising jaywalking problem.

See what I mean.......many more important things to worry about.

I didn't mean to insult you, I was trying to bring a point across, that your encouraging people to break the law. I know there are more important things than noise violations, but handing out violations every once in a while gets the point across, as opposed to stopping them and checking out what they have in their trunk.

Just because somebody hasn't called in to complain doesn't mean that it isn't "disturbing their peace."

Loud music is waaaaaaaaaay at the the bottom.......99 percent of us don't even care.
I beg to differ, any city I've been to in FL, I can tell you are very strict on noise violations. As a matter of fact, I have friends who have been constantly patrolled after receiving their first noise violation. (ex. being followed all the time, pulled over and being given a b/s reason for being stopped)

With that being said, I'm sure you do your job to your best ability, but everyone needs improvement/enlightening on something. Nobody is perfect.

Originally posted by NYTROOPA Listen people on the agenda of police business.........trust me.........Loud music is waaaaaaaaaay at the the bottom.......99 percent of us don't even care. However should i stop this vehicle and criminal activity be afoot (ie. drugs/alcohol) then we have a problem.

The only time i (or any other officer i know) have actually written that ticket rooted from a complaint filed by a few members of a small community where the teen lived. He would bump his system when he washed AND waxed his car in his driveway and late nights 2 a.m. when his buddy's came to hang out.

NEXT:

NO, BECAUSE YOU PUT IT VERY NICELY FOR ME:

See, that's a big difference.........loudness is a minor inconvenience that goes away. On the other hand excessive speed has been known to kill or injure not only the operator, but uninvolved motorists as well. I have never heard of anyone being killed by loud music.

Next:

I really don't appreciate being told how to do my job......if you feel so strongly, perhaps you coul become an officer and decide exactly how much time you wish to allocate to stopping the nation's overwhelming epidemic of noise pollution. After you've solved that problem, you can move right along to the rising jaywalking problem.

See what I mean.......many more important things to worry about.

On regards to the sound ordinance law for southern california. According to California Vehicle Code (yes that's al of california) it says that noise from a car (be it subs, mids, or highs) cannot exceed 50 ft from the vehicle. In SAn Diego it's about a $100 ticket depending on who writes it and how anal retentive they wanna be. But I agree with the guy earlier. Sound is at the bottom of the totem pole unless there is a complint. Then there are actions rendered. I personally have only given one ticket for this becuase of a complaint. Alot of times I'll just roll up and see what their pushin.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.