Last Thoughts?

I thought port volume had to do mostly with sub cone area and xmax? If so then a 10" aero port is way to small
The amount of port kind of depends on the enclosure size. For example, most cases people say when using a slot port to have about 16sq-inch port per cube, where as with aero's you can get away with having less square inches of port per cube.

The amount of port kind of depends on the enclosure size. For example, most cases people say when using a slot port to have about 16sq-inch port per cube, where as with aero's you can get away with having less square inches of port per cube.
Port are is a ratio with net airspace
So you guys are saying that a kicker cvr with 6mm of xmax should be in a box with the same amount of port area as lets say a sundown zv4 which has 34mm of xmax.

So you guys are saying that a kicker cvr with 6mm of xmax should be in a box with the same amount of port area as lets say a sundown zv4 which has 34mm of xmax.
I'm not saying all sub's are that way.I've only used a l7 from kicker in ported box. Can't remember how much port I used

the general rule is to use 9-16 square inches of port per cube depending on type of port, but you dial in on that number using the t/s parameters

the general rule is to use 9-16 square inches of port per cube depending on type of port, but you dial in on that number using the t/s parameters
I'm not saying all sub's are that way.I've only used a l7 from kicker in ported box. Can't remember how much port I used
I honestly don't see how you base port area mainly on box size. If you have a 18" sub with way more xmax, then its going to need quite a bit larger port area than a lower xmax sub. Im not trying to argue, but that's what I have been taught, and if I'm wrong I wont mind admitting it at all. But can anyone give proof? Or point me in the direction of some literature to read or something?

I use carstereo.com when figuring my port area. I put a link below. All they ask for is sub size, quantity of subs, tuning frequency and xmax. No box volume (until you try figure port length)

Car Audio - PORT Size Calculations and Formulas for WOOFER and Subwoofer BOXES

What show are you referring to? Local? If so I really want to make an appearance and listen to everyone.
Who me?

Our team is hosting a Isaca show in campbellsville on Nov 15

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

What show are you referring to? Local? If so I really want to make an appearance and listen to everyone.
And yes everyone is welcome

I honestly don't see how you base port area mainly on box size. If you have a 18" sub with way more xmax, then its going to need quite a bit larger port area than a lower xmax sub. Im not trying to argue, but that's what I have been taught, and if I'm wrong I wont mind admitting it at all. But can anyone give proof? Or point me in the direction of some literature to read or something?
I use carstereo.com when figuring my port area. I put a link below. All they ask for is sub size, quantity of subs, tuning frequency and xmax. No box volume (until you try figure port length)

Car Audio - PORT Size Calculations and Formulas for WOOFER and Subwoofer BOXES
Really this is one of those things that there is no right or wrong. Its more of a judgement or rule of thumb. No real way to know except to test test test. Also has alot to do with tuning of port as well.

DC subs like small boxes with A **** TON of port area
with that in mind, I'd do the 5.5 cubes with the 10" aero
but using a aeroport that would probly be to much port. thats 14+ inches of port per cube, and your suppose to use less using aero's

but using a aeroport that would probly be to much port. thats 14+ inches of port per cube, and your suppose to use less using aero's
you're not "supposed" to use less per aero. It's just that golden rule of thumb that you CAN use less since they are more efficient

you're not "supposed" to use less per aero. It's just that golden rule of thumb that you CAN use less since they are more efficient
true... but seeing their efficiency, and you can use less wouldnt a high number of port cause a issue with unloading?

Who me?
Our team is hosting a Isaca show in campbellsville on Nov 15

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

And yes everyone is welcome
Arghhh. Why are all the events on days I can't make. Thats the second weekend of modern gun season, which also happens to be the only one I can make.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.