kx2500 all of a sudden started going in and out of protect...

aaron7114
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Arkansas
My system has been working fine until just 2 days ago when out of no where it started kicking in and out of protect mode. I figured it was just hot so I turned it off for the night and tried it out the next day. It was doing the same thing the next day though. I could turn it up and it would play bass but I couldn't turn it up much before it would start kicking in and out of protect.

So I thought it might be a voltage problem so I put the charger on the kinetik for a while and tried it out again, but yet again it was doing the same thing.

So I got my DMM out to check voltage. At my kinetik in the back the voltage was staying above 13 volts at all times even when the amp was kicking off. So i went a little farther and check the voltage at the fuse block between the kinetik and the amp, once again stayed above 13 volts.

Once I checked the voltage right at the amp though when the amp was kicking in and out the voltage was dropping down to 11 and 12 volts.

So I'm not sure if the amp is blown or somehow I have a voltage problem.

first off anything below 12 volts is really bad for an amp! that sounds like it is your problem to me. try just playing it at low volume and see if it cuts in and out still if it doesn't then it does sound like it's a voltage issue. also is it 1/0g wire going to the amp? and just curious what subs are you running with it and whats the box?

what ohm load you playing at? mine will suddenly cut in and out when playing just over full tilt on a 1 ohm load (.7ohm dcr). It will do this even at or around 13v+. I think it has to do with the amp just not liking 1 ohm nominal daily driving, even with a sufficient electical for the amp.

now if you're measuring anywhere and its at 11 volts obviously thats bad. I'd double check all connections. likely one of the power or grounds looks like its in but in fact has slipped out a little and although its makign enough of a connection to power on, itll cut out once you start moving alot of current. check every single 1/0 connection throughout the whole thing.

a few years back i had a kx 2500 that would run alllllll day off 1 ohm nominal on a slightly less beefy electrical than i have now. the one i have now will play up to full tilt, but any lil bit over itll cut in and out. as ive read up on this forum same kicker 2500's will play 1 ohm, some wont.

Right now its only running at 2 ohm because I only have one sub hooked up. But i usually run it at 1 ohm every day no problem. But like i said I dont have a voltage drop at my kinetik battery in the back. There is a voltage drop somewhere between the kinetik and the amp.

I checked voltage at fuse between kinetik and amp and the voltage there is good also. Its just when I check the voltage right at the amp where it drops real low.

I do believe my new speaker is already blown though. Could that have anything to do with it?

my amp went into protect out of no where a few days ago just cause of the outside heat. It was like 102 degrees here and inside the car it was an oven.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.