KnuKonceptz claimed ampacity

this troll owned this thread, and he got his e-boner.

Everything he said is just generalized. A lot of it true, but not applied to a specific situation such as car audio vs some other situation. Therefore, he couldnt really be wrong (and have a reason to argue that)

I had a good lawl from it all though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif iz u slow boy??

Knu is great super flexy+sexy.

Well at least knu replied to Mc's emails.

I've been emailing audiopipe asking how their amps rated power exceeds its fuse size but they will not reply //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

ddint read the full thread but to prove this i have 10 feet of Knu fleks wire. My uncle a electrician is right up the street install 500 amp 3-phase service in a pizza place. he said he will test it video to come.

He will be doing video im staying the **** outside i dont wanna know what he is going tshort slash run to pull 500amps through 1/0

I've been emailing audiopipe asking how their amps rated power exceeds its fuse size but they will not reply //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
I was about to say the same thing. I thought the guy at Knu far exceeded what was neccessary in his replies, even when it was obvious the guy was trolling...+1 for Knu.

ddint read the full thread but to prove this i have 10 feet of Knu fleks wire. My uncle a electrician is right up the street install 500 amp 3-phase service in a pizza place. he said he will test it video to come.
He will be doing video im staying the **** outside i dont wanna know what he is going tshort slash run to pull 500amps through 1/0
Just because its a 500 service, doesn't mean it will have a constant 500a load. You would need to put a clamp meter to see what current you are pulling.

I thought I'd ask them how they rate their wire. Talk about a bunch of BS responses. Can you say backpaddle or talking in circles?
My initial inquiry:

I notice you rate your 1/0 power cable @300 amps. The National Electrical Code lists the best insulated 1/0 @260 amps in free air at 86 degrees F ambient temperature. Underhood, undercarpet etc is certainly not free-air, let alone 86 degrees F ambient temperature. What type of insulation do you use to achieve this rating? I'm sure UL (or another testing agency) will back up your claims as it surely has been tested to perform as claimed. I plan to install a 300 amp service on my house. The code says I need 300MCM wire to carry this much current, if I could use your 1/0 I could save a LOT of money in wire and conduit. Please let me knu.

Response:

Does the NEC take in account the length the cable is being run? If its a commercial or residential application, most likely not. The 12V industry is completely different. In a car you KNOW the load on the system and the length it will be running, not the so much in other fields. 1/0 can handle a lot more then 300A at a 20' length. This cable is not designed to be used to service your home.

Bill

My next query:

Bill,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The NEC certainly does not take into account wire length as it has nothing to do with ampacity (only voltage drop, which is certainly addressed). Commercial, residential, and automotive amperes are the same. No 1/0 I know of is rated for 300 amps whether its 2' or 2000'. You never really KNOW the load, that's why cable is rated for a certain maximum. Anything above the manufacturer's stated maximum ampacity shouldn't be exceeded. My service runs would be far less than 20' in any event (more like 5' actually). Its the matter of changing the conduit (removing meter socket, etc) to accomodate the larger wire the code says I need that I'm trying to avoid. If you're wire is good for "a lot more than" 300 amps at 20' length, it certainly should be good for 300 amps at 5' length, no? I would certainly install a 300 amp main breaker to ensure your recommendations are not exceeded.

response:

In 12V you DO know the load and you DO know the length, that's where car circuits differ from anything in the construction business. Using the resistance of the conductor you can determine what the voltage loss will be at said length and current load. By knowing these you can determine the maximum capacity of the cable within the application. Yes 5' of 1/0 cable in a car would probably handle in excess of 800A and not have an issue. In fact 5' of 1/0 at 800A has nearly the same loss as 20' of 1/0 with a 300A load. See the calculator at the bottom of the page. We do not claim this cable to be rated for use in construction applications

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Bill

My next query:

Bill,

Once again thank you for your reply. You seem to be implying that with voltage drop there is a corresponding current drop. I certainly agree that all conductors have a certain voltage drop, but the current going in one end exactly equals the current coming out the other end. This is true regardless of length. The current is the same at every point along the wire. The heat generated by that current flow is also exactly the same along it's entire length. There is no difference in a wire's ampacity whether it's 2' or 200' long. The ampacity table you linked to lists 0 cable's ampacity as 150 amps. There is no mention of adjusting ampacity according to the wire's length. Exactly how are you arriving at your ampacity claims?

I expect no further responses from Knu. They are selling snake oil to uninformed people. He sent a link that clearly states 1/0 is rated for 150 amps then claims it's good for "in excess of 800 amps"! It's obvious to me where these rampant misconceptions come from on this site. The unscrupulous manufacturers are feeding you this BS. He wouldn't commit to my feeding my house with it (with a 300Amp breaker) but knows for sure it can handle a known 800 amp load. Makes sense to me. Reputable company? I think not.
i dont mean to be harsh but your an idiot....

amps=heat=Resistance=voltage drop=higher load

300MCM is called for because residential wire has a insulation rating of 105 degrees C

Knu wire on the other hand has insulation rated for 150 degrees C

Run 2 runs of 1/0 and you will be good

A VERY good point. Knu surely answers their emails (even ones that question their product claims credibility). KUDOS to Bill for that. While I can't agree with his answers, at least he did in fact answer. There have been more emails between us since I posted. Audiopipe should cut/paste some of Bill's replies. They can easily apply his logic to their amplifiers (car amperes are different than house amperes). They would just have to add the fact their amps are >100% efficient. No biggie. There's a fool born every minute, don't get too attached to your money.

Video to come...OK, I'll wait. He's no electrician, he's a moron. The pizza place owners are none too bright either. Can you say voided insurance claim? I can't wait to see 500 amps through 1/0. The video will probably air on the news first. Its a small service and I can't wait to see where he's gonna find a 500 amp load at a pizza place. The last service I did was 6000 amps, 12 paralled 600 MCM cables for each 480V phase. If he thinks it would be OK, why didn't he use 1/0 for the service? Maybe he did, I'm sure he's not Union or had any training being in Florida. Your Palin/McCain sig verifies that.

i dont mean to be harsh but your an idiot....amps=heat=Resistance=voltage drop=higher load

300MCM is called for because residential wire has a insulation rating of 105 degrees C

Knu wire on the other hand has insulation rated for 150 degrees C

Run 2 runs of 1/0 and you will be good
Residential wire is rated for 90 C, not 105 C.

Knu is rated for 150 C? I wonder why Bill didn't mention that? I asked if their wire had been tested/rated by any labs and got no reply. He did however tell me their 1/0 would not carry 300 amps (in a residence). By some miracle it can carry 800 amps in a hot car but not 300 amps in my cool basement. I don't mean to be harsh (okay, I do) but you're arguing with an electrician, not simply a stereo buff. There are indeed wires rated for 150 C. Something tells me Knu's superflex isn't one of them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.