Are alternators *somewhat* all interchangeable?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sarthos
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MN
Just kinda wondering about this, but couldn't like an alternator from nearly any car be made to work in almost any other car? Like hypothetically couldn't someone take a high output alternator for a Ford, along with an alternator plug from a junkyard, and put it in a Chevy by just splicing the wires and possibly changing the pulley if the alternator and the crank pulley have different belt types? It seems like it would work that way, and it sounds like something that would be really useful since I see lots of people trying to sell high output alternators on here for specific cars, but if the alternator could be made to work in anything it sounds like it'd be easier for people to sell them. I dunno, I'm ranting.

The bottom line is: Yes.

There are many points to be considered tho. The obvious one is the mounting holes. Another is the overall size of the case.

With a little research and some trial and error, anything is possible.

Internal versus external voltage regulator can also be an issue. Most all are internal nowadays AFAIK. It seems like more trouble than it's worth.

I was just sorta wondering if all alternators are not so much interchangeable as they are all just pretty much the same. I figured they pretty much have to be since they just spin and generate power. But don't some spin the opposite direction or is that not an issue?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.