Killing amps by voltage drops

shava
10+ year member

ShaversDaFlava
Salem, OR
I kinda see some people around here saying the amp was probably dead because of voltage drops.

How true is this and say your electrical drops to a minimum of 13.8v is that really going to kill an amp over time?

So when an amp dies randomly its most likely bad build quality?

I just don't understand why an amp will work fine for like 8 months then just stop one day and blow something.

Well a test tone ran me down to 13.9v after like 20 seconds or so when I had the amp.

And it was at 2ohms so thats fine for that amp.

Im just trying to keep my next amp or if this one gets refurbed from frying again. If you are clipping the sub with the amp does that hurt the amp at all?

There are a lot of things that can kill an amp. There are also a lot of things that can either come loose or stop working on an amp. Do you have any pics of the inside?

Did you blow an amp? What amp? What were the circumstances?

Dropping to 13.8 volts won't kill an amp. However, having an inaccurate instrument measuring the drop and telling you it's at 13.8 when it's at 11.9 will blow an amp.

But who knows what exactly happened. If you show us some guts there are guys on here who can identify what blew or burned and then guess at how it could have happened.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.