kicker L7 15" old school vs. new gen

I had a 12" L7, the earliest model with the grayish cone that looks like a + sign, I installed it in a big ported box made by kicker. 500 watts was fine, upped it to 800 and I tore the tinsel lead off the cone. It was friggin loud though and the coil could of taken much more.

The newest model has its tinsel leads woven into the spider and is beefier so just avoid the 1st gen.

I have seen many blown 1st gens and torn tinsel leads, Old kickers didn't have as strong of a cone either....

Rarely do i see the newer ones blow or mess up at all unless it's on purpose since i find them to be very underrated.

its not useless, just not very wise. people put too much power to them and tuned the first gens too low. the old L7s couldn't handle the lows though (very low xmax) so tinsel breakage was common. if you don't tune super low and give the 1st gen power around or under rated it will do fine

dont buy either better can be bought for the price //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

dont buy either better can be bought for the price //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
hummmm the most common problems i have seen in the first gen are the surround peeling off and voice coil burnt...... sheeeshhh i alwaz thought ppl wired it wrong or somthing... now tht i know its a common problem in the sub itsself...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.