Kicker Comp VRs, help me solve this VC debate

nweibley
10+ year member

this:annoyinginsomanyways
Tampa, FL
I'm being told you CANT wire three DVC 4 ohm kicker woofers into a 1.33 ohm load. Check me on this, but I am 99.999% sure I am right.

If you take two subs, wire their voice coils in series, each sub is effectively 8 ohms (4 + 4 = 8) (That is two woofers at 8 ohms each)

If you take those two subs and wire them in parallel, the total impedance is 4 ohms for the pair (1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4) (That is TWO 8 ohm woofers wired in parallel, 4 ohms total now... ONE 4 ohm pair of DVC woofers)

If you take the last sub, wire its coils in parallel, you get (1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2) so it is at two ohms. That is ONE 2 ohm sub. Two 4 ohm coils... one 2 ohm pair. Then wire the sub at 2 ohms in with the other pair at 4 ohms so you get (1/4 + 1/2 = 1/(3/2)) or 1.3333 ohms.

Correct, yes?

Yeah yeah, I understand. This is not my install anyways, it's just for a friend looking to buy and amp, and I'm trying to get him as close to 1 ohm as possible without going under, to really open up his options.

i'm not an electrical expert or anything so take this more as a ? then as a statement

I don't know if i would want to run it to where you have 1 2ohm sub and 2 8ohm, becuase i would think that since electricity takes the path of least resistence wouldn't most of you power take the easiest path?? now the math does look right to me i just never heard of anyone running different ohm ratings on there subs before and maybe that is the reason.

anyway maybe someone that knows a little bit more about it can answer this ? for us

RT= (R1xR2)/(R1+R2)

RT= (3x4)/(3+4)

RT= 1.74 ohms.

HMM that dosent sound right to me, might be a problem in my math. Dosent appear to be a problem tho.

-Mike

That was the only thing I was thinking.... mabey a fourth sub would really clear these issues up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You CAN wire it to 1.33 ohms, but you shouldn't.

Reason: The sub with its coils in parallel will be getting twice as much power by itself as the two with their coils in series will be sharing. Basically one of the 3 will get 4 times as much power as each of the other two. This is bad. You want a 1 ohm load from 4 ohm DVC woofers, you need either 2 or 8. Four will give you a 2 or a .5 ohm load.

Basic rule of thumb, never run subs of different impedances on the same channel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.