Kicker amp messing up....

Participant count
  • Participant list

MerkConvoy501

Senior VIP Member
Conway AR
So i have a kicker zx 750 wired to two ohm.. Its been cutting into protection mode at medium to loud volumes so i get out to take a look at it.. I turn my radio to like 14-15 were it wont go into protection and go back there grab my amp and move it a little bit and my output goes way way down like to a 1/4 of what it was before i touched it.. I move it again and output comes back kinda of like messing with a messed up phone charger.. The protection seems random not a certain volume not driving the amp very hard.. Not on very long either just for a demo and stuff.. Idk think my kicker amp is done?

I think your wiring is iffy. Check your ground. It needs to be attached to a solid metal surface that is sanded down. Sounds like a connection issue
I plan on it tomorrow when i have some time off for sure.. Its hooked up the same way it has been for 3 months and never acted like that in the past.. Has anyone ever could grab a amp and the output get cut in half?

I agree with gary, check your wiring - all of it. Ground needs to be securely bolted to sanded chassis. Power from battery and remote wire should read 12+ volts (14+ with engine running). Use a DMM and make sure the impedance the amp is seeing is 2ohms like you state. See if the speaker wiring or RCAs are loose and make sure nothing is pinched or shorted.

So here is the testing i have done... I looked over all my wiring and everything looks good.. Hook up a dmm to my box terminal shows 2 ohms like i should be at.. I disconnect the speaker wires from the amp and the amp doesnt shut off

Sometimes at low volumes it will cut off and normally at high volumes it shuts off but rarely it doesnt.. I was looking at the amp and the protection light would flicker on once go off and then stay lit up

more testing i have done is plug in one sub at a time 2 used 2 new and each time i plug a sub up it goes into protection mode easier.. It has gone into protection very rarely with no speakers hooked up to it.. Im going to re do all my wiring over the weekend

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.