Kick panel construction

Participant count
  • Participant list

chev4life
10+ year member

So...Im collecting gear to start my kick panel fab and I am curious if anyone has used plate steel or aluminum as the mounting base for their kickpanel speakers? I have access to a CNC waterjet so I am either going to make a router guide and cut some MDF or hardwood plates or just go with a plate aluminum or stainless one. Either way they will be glassed in place. What do you guys things?

I think you would have to sound dampen the steel or aluminum quite a bit depending on the gauge you use. Although steel & aluminum are strong they also flex alot more then MDF. You can screw into steel & aluminum but but that doesn't mean the screws will hold for a long time and if you have to remove and then reinstall the screws two or three times they might not stay tight because the holes will become enlarged.

Seeing as how you have access to a CNC water jet you might think about making a trim ring / panel that could go around the speakers and paint the panel to match your car or polish the aluminum. I would then use a good 2 part epoxy to hold the trim panels in place. I think it might look cool?

Yeah, I still have trim rings in the air...want to do everything simple first and may flair it up later depending. I may even cut some custom badges to mount to the grills.

I was thinking of 0.25" aluminum plate with threaded inserts for the speakers to mount to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif I am going to glass shape them (cloth/resin) then reinforce the inside of the panels with more glass and some dynamat...I think it should be pretty solid. I having a serious brain fart on how to get an inverse curve shape though...ideas? Maybe a balloon with wax on it that I can hold the fabric down with when it cures...

I think you have two options.

You could go to the fabric store or craft store and purchase a block of foam, I cant remember if their were different grades but their should be. The foam that I am thinking of is green and it brakes apart easy.

You can shape the foam with a coarse file, sand paper or a scorch bright pad on a angel grinder. You could shape the foam into the curve you want. Expanding foam is another option, it cost more but you can build the shape you want and then "detail" the shape after the foam dries.

Depending on how much time you want to invest, after you shape the foam you could apply body filler to it and then shape the body filler. While the body filler is still curing you can shape it with a tool called a chess-grader or just sand it after its cured. The smoother your surface is to lay fiber-glass on, will in-turn reflect how good your kick panel turns out.

I am really kind of unclear on your curve but another option is using the card-board from a cereal box, you can cut out a section of the box and then roll the section of card board around a can of pop or something and get the card board to curve, then trim the card-board how you want it and use 2inch masking tape to hold it how you want it and then fiberglass over it.

The problem with using a balloon is that resin can get hot and it can eat thru plastic and pop the balloon.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.