Kerfing 101 - How to Kerf MDF for curved port applications!

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I am glad you found this helpful. I will be sure to post more How-To Videos in the near future, mainly things I have always wondered and had to learn myself. Might as well share the wealth, to many people protect how things are done.

Thank you to whoever stickied this!

Nice video, I really like the trick about spacing out the cuts.. would've never thought of that.

Nice american eagle "hat".. and Im really diggin the motocross gloves. haha

I use mine too for working on stuff sometimes.. but most of the time I actually use them for what their intended for :]

nice vid bro! great job, I use my table saw to do this as its MUCH faster but your way works great. can i make ONE note...

DO NOT WEAR GLOVES MAN! WORST thing you can possibly do is wear gloves on your hands when operating any sort of machinery that rotates. What is going to happen when the rotating blade snags a piece of your glove by chance? your hand will be ****** into the turning object, in this case your blade. BAD news man! you will loose your hand. Ive seen it happen on a drill press. totally nasty stuff. guy was wearing gloves, fabric got caught 1/2" bit grabbed on, ripped his **** index finger clear off. seriously.

now +1 for your video. great job.

Excellent, quick, and simple way of showing how to Kerf. This will be great for those who seek info on "how to's" in box building, so they can better their knowledge in the skill. Keep up the good work!

nice vid bro! great job, I use my table saw to do this as its MUCH faster but your way works great. can i make ONE note...
DO NOT WEAR GLOVES MAN! WORST thing you can possibly do is wear gloves on your hands when operating any sort of machinery that rotates. What is going to happen when the rotating blade snags a piece of your glove by chance? your hand will be ****** into the turning object, in this case your blade. BAD news man! you will loose your hand. Ive seen it happen on a drill press. totally nasty stuff. guy was wearing gloves, fabric got caught 1/2" bit grabbed on, ripped his **** index finger clear off. seriously.

now +1 for your video. great job.
I saw that happen on the TV show American Chopper a few years back.. and for anyone who has seen the show, it happened to Rick.. whose like a robot when it comes to working with metal. It grabbed his glove and literally turned his hand into what looked like hamburger meat, they couldn't even show it on TV.

I agree in this case, when working with stuff that spins/rotates.. gloves aren't your best bet safety wise. In any other situation I would wear them.

Thanks for the video. And thanks for the tip on the gloves guys.

I use a thin kerf blade on all my saws, will that work? or do I need to change to a wider blade? (I know I would need to make more cuts.)

I use a thin kerf blade on all my saws, will that work? or do I need to change to a wider blade? (I know I would need to make more cuts.)
Technically more cuts, with and 1/8" blade I do 12 cuts which would be 1.5" of material removed. So if your blade is smaller take 1.5 and divide by your blade thickness to get how many cuts you need.

DO NOT WEAR GLOVES MAN!
Actually I am usually good about this rule. Never use them on a drill or grinder. Wasn't even thinking about it while I was doing this video but thank you for pointing that out!

~M

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.