Kenwood kdc x704 max clean volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

Beerad93

CarAudio.com Newbie
First of all I'm new here...been lurking fir a few days. Here's my set up, Kenwood KDC_X704 HU Kenwood components up front about 75 watts rms I believe, Polk db1 6.5 in rear door same power handling. Rockford punch 400.4 4 channel, NVX BD series 750.1
I alternate between a single 12" alpine type R, 2 12" Kenwood performance subs rated at 400 watts rms each, and now a 15" q power super deluxe cheap sub. All wired to a final impedance of 2 ohms when they are in. All in prefab boxes for now. Everytime I re tune ineither do it quick by ear or use multimeter method. It's always super clean sounding when I use the multimeter use test tones. I don't have a problem with my front stage. I just feel like when I tune the sub amp by ear it is more satisfying. Is there a different approach I should take when setting up my sub amp? I want to be dead on or at least as optimized as I can be for my system and every other system I touch. Any advice would be appreciated. I see lots of guys with experience here. Thanks!

First of all I'm new here...been lurking fir a few days. Here's my set up, Kenwood KDC_X704 HU Kenwood components up front about 75 watts rms I believe, Polk db1 6.5 in rear door same power handling. Rockford punch 400.4 4 channel, NVX BD series 750.1
I alternate between a single 12" alpine type R, 2 12" Kenwood performance subs rated at 400 watts rms each, and now a 15" q power super deluxe cheap sub. All wired to a final impedance of 2 ohms when they are in. All in prefab boxes for now. Everytime I re tune ineither do it quick by ear or use multimeter method. It's always super clean sounding when I use the multimeter use test tones. I don't have a problem with my front stage. I just feel like when I tune the sub amp by ear it is more satisfying. Is there a different approach I should take when setting up my sub amp? I want to be dead on or at least as optimized as I can be for my system and every other system I touch. Any advice would be appreciated. I see lots of guys with experience here. Thanks!

I'm this close to buying an o-scope so I can find out where my HU clips on all preouts otherwise I'm just making educated guesses. From what I can tell with my ears the HU plays clean all the way to 34 out of 35. That's with the sub level on HU at 0. Maybe I just need to build a good box forthe Type R? Lol this is fun

Usually you can get about 75% volume out of most decks before distortion and clipping starts taking over...

I retuned everything with HU at 75% and noticed I had to turn my gain way up on the 4 channel amp. Also with that I have some noise introduced. Any ideas? I'm thinking that my HU does play clean further up that 75% and that's why I had to crank the gain up on the amp.

I ran the test tones through my Rockford amp and when I first got the HU and the front and rear channel would clip at 35 and the sub wouldn't clip at all. But,that was with sub level at 0. I never thought to even adjust it. Now I'm thinking maybe I could get a better sub out signal with a higher sub level setting.. I always tuned at 34 and with EQ flat. Sub level at 0. I just tuned at 75% of HU volume. Had to turn amp gain way up on the 4 channel. Now I have noise in the system. And this time I set sub level at 9. Sub amp did not react the same way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.