Keeping stock Speakers with aftermarket HU

petethedog
10+ year member

Sorry if this is a Newb Question. I Picked up a 2003 Buick regal for my first car yesterday. I spent more on the car than i wanted so my plans for stereo are downsized for now. I wanted to throw a double din touchscreen HU in it. How hard is it to stick with the stock speakers on an aftermarket HU?

It's a got 6 speaker (monsoon) system for stock.

sorry I just read Monsoon...those are 2 ohm most likely and will fry an amp chip in a radio within a few hours //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Those speakers weren't bad in their prime; infact the monsoon systems today are decent...not by the standards of a audio junkie, but for the average joe yes. You have two options:

1)aftermarket harness may use preouts to send signal to factory amp; which is fine at this point if you are not installing an amp.

2)the by-pass kit doesn't let you use aftermarket hu's preouts and you have to run wire to all the speakers.

either way I hate these types of systems.

Okay haters. This is only temporary until I get some money.If I used a setup that used the stock amp there would be no frying to be done right?
You may not be able to use the factory amp. You have to see if the harness will allow you to use the factory amp. Some factory hu sends a signal to the amp that is eliminated when the factory hu is removed, so the factory amp is no good and has to be by-passed.

Go to metraonline.com. Input the info for you car and you can find out if you have to by pass the amp or not.

sorry I just read Monsoon...those are 2 ohm most likely and will fry an amp chip in a radio within a few hours //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
this dude is a joke, right?

you will be fine. just gotta make sure you hook up your amp turn on wire.

this dude is a joke, right?
you will be fine. just gotta make sure you hook up your amp turn on wire.
No, hes actually right the speakers are two ohm on the monsoon system in the Buicks and will make most headunits shut off becuase no headunit is two ohm stable...i was lucky enough not to have the monsoon in mine

I had two ohm infinity four by sixes on my pioneer head unit for six months if not longer and I never had an issue.When the speaker is playing how often do you think the speakers are actually at 2 ohms?For the most part they are gonna be much higher than that.

No, hes actually right the speakers are two ohm on the monsoon system in the Buicks and will make most headunits shut off becuase no headunit is two ohm stable...i was lucky enough not to have the monsoon in mine
Even if the speakers are 2 ohms, I can't really see a headunit breaking as the other dude had suggested. If anything, speakers might get damaged.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.