Keeping batteries charged and maintained

Participant count
  • Participant list

maximpakt
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok, I had a mechman 300 amp alt built back in Feb. I have only driven the car 4 times since and the alt was toast. As I understand it this is due to a car that doesnt get driven much so the batteries get low and the alt has to work too hard to try to charge them. I try to keep the batteries charged with a charger in between, but I need something more automatic. Something that will charge 6 batteries and that will monitor the voltage and turn on and off as needed to keep the batteries at optimal charge. Suggestions?

im not sure....i drive a semi and away from home all but 4 days a month. when im gone i have someone start my car for a little while when its parked to keep the charge going and keep my fluids from getting sludged up...mayb try that if no one has suggestions?

I dunno... that doesn't seem quite right to me.

I used to have a '97 caddy that had a small short in it somewhere, and I'd have to jump it or charge it for a while if I didn't start it every couple weeks. That battery was always at its lowest point and the one thing that didn't break in that car was the alternator... did go through batteries quickly though. Granted it was the stock alternator.

Just thought I'd pitch in my $.02 FWIW.

This is the first car Ive had with this many extra batteries and this much of a power draw and that sits for prolonged periods, so its a whole new ballgame for me.

I dunno... that doesn't seem quite right to me.
I used to have a '97 caddy that had a small short in it somewhere, and I'd have to jump it or charge it for a while if I didn't start it every couple weeks. That battery was always at its lowest point and the one thing that didn't break in that car was the alternator... did go through batteries quickly though. Granted it was the stock alternator.

Just thought I'd pitch in my $.02 FWIW.

Well, I found a device called the battery minder. Supposed to be able to leave it for prolonged periods, years even and it keeps the batteries at a perfect charge level, monitors temp, does its thing automatically and wont overcharge. Even cycles and desulphates the batts to keep from getting crystalized buildup on the plates. Ill give it a shot and report back.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.