Keep existing and add to it? Or start over? [Kenwood KFC-W3009 & KAC-7201]

Participant count
  • Participant list

ChiTownLincoln
10+ year member

Helpless Noob
Chicago
My girlfriend got a system put in at best buy a few years ago but took it out and stuck it in the garage about 6 months later because she missed having the trunk space. 2 12" KFC-3009 woofers and 1 KAC-7201 amp. All are still in like new shape.

I bought a 1969 lincoln coupe and i want to put some bass in the trunk. I remember her system not sounding very good. Could have been that bestbuy didn't install it correctly or it could have been that she needed a second amp? I really don't know.

My question is can these products sound good? Can i try and find/ebay a matched amp and improve performance? I would try and match it for mounting aesthetics also.

Is the single amp worth saving? Would the woofers sound better with an additional or different amp? Is one or the other the 'problem'? Or do they both **** and i should start over?

I basically want enough bass in the trunk to make the neighbors angry. I know that the existing gear as it is right now wont cut it. Did best buy miss something that would have made a night and day difference with this system? Would i be better off getting a high end JL Audio or Focal single woofer with a top end mono amp?

Thanks in advance for your responses. I need the advice and direction of the experts.

What would you get if you had a grand to spend on the amp and woofer/s? Would you get 1 ******* woofer or two smaller woofers? I think I can get focal gear at cost. Should I go that route or something else?

Do I need anything other than the amp and woofers? I read a few forums where guys say to use capacitors and others say to get a better battery instead. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks

Depending on how strong your electrical system is, you will find yourself upgrading various components if you run over 1000 watts rms. Capacitors have been proven to be ineffective so dont bother with those. What kind of alternator and battery do you have now? How much space do you have to work with? What kind of music do you like? The most important thing before the subs and the amp is the type of box. It will be crucial to have a well designed custom box made for that car, especially because the trunks are more sealed off and its hard to get sound into the cabin.

I have plenty of space.

http://www.affordableclassicsinc.com/classicspgs/1970%20LINCOLN%20MARK%20III/1971%20Lincoln%20Mark%20111%20%2817%29.JPG

I would like to finish the trunk out like the one in this pic. Not the exact same finish/material just the layout. Using the wheel well area for each woofer or one side for a woofer and 1 side for the amp. I want to move the spare tire down to the center. What are your thoughts about this configuration? Can i/should i just create an open air space to the cabin thru the area where the spare currently is? http://caraudiomag.com/sites/default/files/images/00000/05/47/audi_rs4_trunk.jpg .

Aside from googling "1969 mark III alternator" and finding replacement parts i really don't know anything about it. The battery isn't an issue because i can easily upgrade this correct? Would a local car audio place be able to gauge the strength of the electrical system? Or should it be done by a mechanic? I had an 84 riviera about 8 years ago that had a ridiculous system in it but every time the bass would hit the **** car would shut off. I wonder if the electrical system was being taxed to the point of shutting the car off. Should i avoid the 1000 watts rms and go with something less powerful? Or would i need to upgrade the electrical system anyway?

I listen to everything except country. In the car it's usually trance, metal or gangster rap.

Thanks for your help.

Just read up in the electrical section, subwoofer and amp section of the forum.. Learn up and you will easily be able to answer the simple questions on your own. Google and you tube are your best freinds.

Rock auto is showing alternators from 55amps to 90amps which is pretty weak. I would look for something with at least 130 amps and above. Look for high output alternators for your engine. The alternator should have the amount of amps written on it. Upgrade your battery, alternator and the big 3 wiring before you add any amps and speakers.

I'm not super experienced with older cars and trying to get sound through a non opening trunk. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. A local car audio shop will be able to help you. Just remember the box is the most important thing when it comes to sound, so don't go cheap on it.

a grand won't get you a trunk like that. a grand will be close to enough to pay someone to do that fabrication.

wanting to be loud enough to annoy neighbors and wanting good sound are usually two different things. Focal is great stuff. if you want Focal, buy whatever you want.

i've done classic 30's-60's cars before that have a solid metal trunk/cabin divider. you need a pass through. the rear deck is large enough for a sub or two or three - which means cutting metal, but the rear deck could be a solid open-back carpeting which allows the bass to just pass through - totally stealth inside the car.

a grand won't get you a trunk like that. a grand will be close to enough to pay someone to do that fabrication.
wanting to be loud enough to annoy neighbors and wanting good sound are usually two different things. Focal is great stuff. if you want Focal, buy whatever you want.
I plan to build out the trunk myself. The only thing i will hire someone for is upholstery. I want to match the diamond pattern of the interior. You can see it here above where the arm rest used to be in this pic http://www.lincolnversailles.com/LCM3/CIMG0479.JPG (pic is not my car just an example)

I had to remove the carpeting from my trunk. Something green was spilled out on the left side at some point and it soaked thru everything. Rotted most of the fabric and the thin panel backing. I think it was something oily/waxy because the trunk has zero rust in it. The whole car is basically rust free even though it was a 1968 1/2 model purchased and driven in Chicago and the northern suburbs. Undercoating saved it. Its listed in the sales documents //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination. I basically want deep ghetto bass that doesn't distort. I don't need to be able to hear it 5 blocks away but i want people with dentures to fear me.

i've done classic 30's-60's cars before that have a solid metal trunk/cabin divider. you need a pass through. the rear deck is large enough for a sub or two or three - which means cutting metal, but the rear deck could be a solid open-back carpeting which allows the bass to just pass through - totally stealth inside the car.
Are you saying that i could possibly mount the subwoofers in the rear deck area? I never thought of that. That would leave the entire trunk open. I wouldn't have to do anything but call the upholstery guy. You pretty much made my mind up on this. Thanks.

Right now the car is getting some engine work done. Motor mounts, tune up and a few other things. I'm going to go talk with the car guy tomorrow and see about getting a better alternator/battery installed. Car needs paint/wheels/sounds. Originally i wanted to get it painted first, then wheels then sounds. Paint guy wants twice what i was expecting so i am going to put that off until next year unless i win the lottery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. New plan is to do the sounds & wheels this year (in that order).

Thanks again guys. I have been reading several forums and no matter how much you read the only way to get tailored answers is to beg for them in a new thread //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

I finally got a chance to look in the trunk. It is solid all the way around with the exception of the rear deck speakers. They look to be 3.5"X3.5". 1 on each side. Can i just remove the existing speakers and use this as the pass thru?

i would mount subs in the rear deck. that will give you clean, loud bass. then just have the upholstery guy make a factory looking grille/cover.

you don't even need a box in the trunk if you get IB rated subs. Image Dynamics subs were suitable for IB. but you should reinforce the rear deck from the bottom to support the subs independently. the rear deck shouldn't actually support the subs, but offer a baffle and grille.

the small holes in the rear deck aren't large enough. you'll waste a lot of energy in the trunk.

I have to look at it and see what i can do. There is a weird air system that takes up most of the rear deck. The rear deck "cover" is slotted from one end to the other. The center portion is part of some air system. Not sure what it is yet. The edges are where the speakers are currently at. See photo/diagram below.

If the air hoses are just for fresh cabin air i can probably live without them. But if they are part of the AC system i have to keep them until i can afford to change out the AC system. I have to do this at some point anyway because i cant get new freon for the current system.

To be clear here.. the hose in the photo goes into the rear deck inside the car. The external vent on the actual trunk makes it look like the hose connects to that. Once i get the car back from the mechanic i will post pics of the inside of the car and exactly whats under the rear deck.

reardeck.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.