JVC KW-V830BT, Android Auto, and Galaxy S8+

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lumpy Wrenches

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hiya folks, so I'm in the middle of trying to get everything done and setup in my work van. I bought a JVC KW-V830BT, got a good deal on it because of a broken disc drive (wont eject or accept, and I don't really care because I don't listen to CD's or have much in the way of DVD's anyway). 

So I've got it wired up, and for testing purposes before final install I have the parking wire tied straight to ground, since the install booklet shows the parking wire going to the ground side of the parking brake indicator. 

It took me a while to figure out how to get my Galaxy S8+ to work with Android Auto on the JVC, as there are a couple things they weren't so clear about in the install manual. For instance, they don't mention that of the 2 USB inputs (one grey, and one black), that the grey one is the only one that will recognize Android. They also don't mention that you need to download the JVC app, and not just Android Auto. I figured this all out through trial and error after updating the firmware on the radio, because I was trying to figure out how to get the APPS button to become active. That all comes up, works now. But when I go to make a phone call in Android Auto, I go into my contacts list, and start scrolling through contacts, it tells me "locked for safety", almost like it doesn't recognize that its in "park". I don't yet have the reverse wire hooked up, that'll be the last thing I wire in for the install. I still need to get my camera anyway. 

Does anyone know why I keep getting the "locked for safety" when scrolling contacts?

Next, does anyone know of a media player I can add into Android Auto in place of Google Play? I have a sizeable song list already on my phone. If I connect via Bluetooth, I can play all my music right through the media player on the JVC interface, likewise all the phone functions work properly as well. I know I can just as easily throw my entire playlist onto a USB drive and play it off there, but if I have the Android Auto function, I want it to work properly.

Any help is appreciated.

Does anyone know why I keep getting the "locked for safety" when scrolling contacts?

Next, does anyone know of a media player I can add into Android Auto in place of Google Play? I have a sizeable song list already on my phone. If I connect via Bluetooth, I can play all my music right through the media player on the JVC interface, likewise all the phone functions work properly as well. I know I can just as easily throw my entire playlist onto a USB drive and play it off there, but if I have the Android Auto function, I want it to work properly.

Any help is appreciated.
the phone recognizes that youre moving

they all can, the app is just poor in comparison

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.