Head unit sounds tinny

Participant count
  • Participant list

gmpisawresome

So after spending the last week or so tweaking every last setting in my dd 9903s, I cannot for the life of me get it to loose the tinny sound it has. Are there any issues related to wiring that would make it sound tinny? It's the speakers running directly off the internal amp aswell as soeakering running off the RCA that sound this way. 

Hey mate,

Please advise us of your gear so we get a better impression of your whole system.    Could be a few things that may need checking;

• check the head unit audio setting, may have a default setting at 80hz high pass unless you change it;
  • check wiring as well, speakers could be out of phase;
  • check adequate size power and ground wiring kit, if unsure, check with car audio shop;
  • wrong / poor installation. check front doors, insure correct polarity and sound deadening applied to front stage doors;
  • check subwoofer phase and subwoofer box placement;.
  • check subwoofer box for leaking air etc;
Let us know how you go mate! :suave: .

1508628019025.jpg

Hey mate,

Please advise us of your gear so we get a better impression of your whole system.    Could be a few things that may need checking;

• check the head unit audio setting, may have a default setting at 80hz high pass unless you change it;
  • check wiring as well, speakers could be out of phase;
  • check adequate size power and ground wiring kit, if unsure, check with car audio shop;
  • wrong / poor installation. check front doors, insure correct polarity and sound deadening applied to front stage doors;
  • check subwoofer phase and subwoofer box placement;.
  • check subwoofer box for leaking air etc;
Let us know how you go mate! :suave: .

View attachment 3726
man, what is with you posting unnecessary pics of stuff that has nothing to do with anything? Your advice is good for resolving this issue, but the pics.....

oh dude, the "you too bruh?" was in response to your statement "I was thinking the exact same thing in the 3ohm thread.."

youre all good as im pretty sure you were just making fun of the dope who keeps injecting unnecessary pics
Maybe that's how they roll in the outback idk. I've seen my fair share of infinite baffle set ups lately. There's a random picture thread for random pictures. The ones he post seem very random. The guy does try to help people out.

I've got the same hu as the op but I wasn't exactly sure what he was saying in the last sentence. Soeakering? 

Maybe that's how they roll in the outback idk. I've seen my fair share of infinite baffle set ups lately. There's a random picture thread for random pictures. The ones he post seem very random. The guy does try to help people out.

I've got the same hu as the op but I wasn't exactly sure what he was saying in the last sentence. Soeakering? 
i saw that too and pretty much ignored the word he used and just thought it was a major fat-finger/derp and he was trying to say speakers

i saw that too and pretty much ignored the word he used and just thought it was a major fat-finger/derp and he was trying to say speakers
Yeah probably but that's a sausage finger blunder. Pretty far off from speakers. 

Probably out of phase or or or who knows ,not much information provided other then it sounds tinny.

Yeah, I do try to help out since I have been delving in car audio for the past 30 years and have done a few installs.  The pics are random but that's how I roll mate!

Yeah probably but that's a sausage finger blunder. Pretty far off from speakers. 

Probably out of phase or or or who knows ,not much information provided other then it sounds tinny.
Sorry, I was on a phone that wasn't wanting to let me spell anything correctly. Anyway, now I'm on my computer and can elaborate on the issue more. 

I have followed all the tips given by the first response and more, which include:

• Checking polarity
  • Ensuring proper grounds
  • Making sure speakers are not blown
  • Updating head unit firmware
  • Turning off all the in radio settings (Loudness, supreme, etc.)
  • Adjusting the EQ
  • Sound deadening the car doors
  • Installingfast rings
  • Tested a Kenwood amp on the front speakers (No difference was made)
  • Adjusting gain
  • Using different inputs
  • Factory resetting radio
  • Ensuring no crosstalk or interference between the wires is happening
  • Making sure Subwoofer box is sealed
  • Aligning tweeters with my head (off-axis by about 20 degrees)
  • Adjusting time alignment
  • adjusting crossover
  • adjusting fader
  • adjusting levels for speakers
  • Turning down gain for tweeters/mid
I've done more but this is all I can remember off the top of my head. The sound I'm hearing seems to be just tinny and nasty. Voices are clear and when its just vocals, it sounds amazing. However, when instruments are mixed in, it starts to sound muffled and hard to distinctively identify each instrument. I'm not sure, but using an RTA on my phone, it looked like ~1k range is where things are extremely harsh and hurt my ears, even with it turned down in the EQ. Is it a possibility that my radio is bad? Are the speakers bad?  

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.