Just pre-ordered 2 new Sundown E8 v.3 D4's ... need some advice!

Participant count
  • Participant list

jasonv31

Texas
I ordered two of the new Sundown E8 v.3 D4's need some advice on the best sub box placement and design. Please bear with me this is my first post on Caraudio.com! :)

I have a 1999 Isuzu amigo, custom vortec v6/4l60e drive train out of a 2004 chevy blazer (swap done by me) and I have the shop (new one being built!) and mostly the skills and equipment to build my own box, have built several sealed ones over the years and worked at a furniture factory and custom cabinet shop years ago. (OK enough rambling)

This is the rear area of my amigo ...

View attachment 26538506

As you can see my space is limited. Well... limited because I want to keep as much of the floor area as possible, one of the reasons I went with the 8" and not a bigger sub. Also the sundown 8" fits in a small area even ported. For this 8" they recommend a ported box so I have a few possible configurations based on my truck. (The E8 v.3 D4's has a recommended 0.5 to 0.75 ported box tuned to 35hz.)

1- I could do two enclosures on each side, both firing towards each other. Essentially I could gut the plastic panels on each side that "hide" the roll bars on each side. The area behind there could soak up some of the box area and the rest could intrude minimally into the cargo area. It would be more work than the next option and I dont have a problem with that, but would it sound good? For this direction would the port be best on the front of the box or on top firing up into the cabin ? I say this because although the ports and drivers would be the width of the cargo area apart (Likely a bit less than that once the boxes are in) would the opposing subs firing at each other impact the sound ? (SPL and SQ)

2- I could build one large enclosure (with two or one chamber) in a down firing configuration that would as thin a possible (maybe 6-10 inches) and after complete would have a false floor appearance. I could leave a space towards the front of the box (portion that is closest to the rear seat back) that the sub port could exit, leaving space for the length of the port. I ran this very roughly in a box calculator and it is possible.

So after all this what do you think ??? Please ask questions ... I know I may have left some things out or unclear.... lol:santa:

I wanted to add... if you have any other ideas on enclosure design even outside of the ones I listed please sound off!! I want to hopefully build this once ... at least once until I get some new subs ! LOL ...

False floor dude, but you'll probably want to port it towards the rear. Get with some of the designers/builders on here (Pro-Rabbit, Double 07) and they should be able to square you away.

Don't be thinking you're going to be shaking windshields or anything, but it will add some nice low end.
Thats exactly what I am after... :) It will be a definite upgrade from the single sealed lowend JL I have now on maybe 150 watts. These two will be on at least 1 - 1.2k of power (wont push them that hard.. but will give plenty of headroom) so I will feel the difference! Thanks for the advice ! J

False floor dude, but you'll probably want to port it towards the rear. Get with some of the designers/builders on here (Pro-Rabbit, Double 07) and they should be able to square you away.
why is it that I am never mentioned... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif jk

why is it that I am never mentioned... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif jk
Lol. I see your ish man, looks pretty good too. I left out a few others as well. I was typing quick and just threw out those two, they came to mind first.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.