just need a quick opinion or two

bobbycooper

car audio isn't exactly my area of expertise so bear with me. i am slowly upgrading the stereo in my 95 Honda. i picked up a set of 4 infinity 62.9i speakers to put in. now i haven't installed them yet cause i've heard that to get the full potential out of them it would be best to run them through an amp and if that's the case i'd rather set it all up at once. now my question is, is an amp really necessary to get decent sound? and if so what should i be looking for in an amplifier or if you have any specific suggestions i'd really like to hear some feedback.

yes it is nessecary...there is a soundstream amp for sale on here that does 75x4 a 2 ohms and those speakers are rated at 75w rms so you are going to want something in that ballpark.

Well in order to get full potential from the speakers yes an amp is necessary. Your headunit is putting out about ~20 or so rms per channel and those infinitys are 2-75 rms per so you are really only sending maybe 1/3 of the power you could be.

alright thank you. so just to clarify, i should be looking for a 4 channel amp that has a power output around 75 watts per channel. since they have a peak of 225 watts should i lean a little more towards the peak or just stick around the rms?

peak don't mean sheet, always stick to the RMS rating when shoping for any car audio. since those are the kappa series speakers, you need to make sure the amp you choose is @ 2ohms. you won't need much of an amp. any 50x4 @4ohm should do anywhere from 75-100rms @ 2ohms which is what you're looking for. and yeah 25 watts over on the rms is ok to run.

alright thank you. so just to clarify, i should be looking for a 4 channel amp that has a power output around 75 watts per channel. since they have a peak of 225 watts should i lean a little more towards the peak or just stick around the rms?
Yes. 75ish watts rms x 4 @4 ohms. Less won't hurt, so if you find something with 50watts rms per channel for a good price, it's worth considering, I'm sure you'll content with it. However, as mentioned to get full potential, you'll want 75watts. More won't hurt either, just make sure you read up on how to set your gains properly so you don't fry them. Only pay attention to rms ratings, if you browse any of these forums or speak to anyone who's been messing with audio for a while, you will notice that peak ratings are not even mentioned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.