Just installed longer ports to my box, what now?

Participant count
  • Participant list

xmakeafistx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Kenosha, WI
I tried testing songs with about 40hz tones and songs with 30hz and I feel like it is much louder at the higher frequencies.

The box is supposed to be tuned at 30hz.

I have three four inch ports, all 15.5 inches long, the box is 32 wide, 23.5 deep, and 15 high. Ports are facing forward, subs are facing up. I was not able to have the ports shooting to the trunk due to not being able to fit the subs in that way.

I just want more to mess around with, I feel like they could be louder. They sound/feel a lot louder on the inside rather than out, but thats probably just the car.

All I know is that they are evenly spread out through the 32 inches, So two of them are about 3 inches away from the wall. & the PVC is flush with the box. all 15 inches are pretty much in.

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

& also Buck designed the box and did calculations on a program.

sorry, I just seen the ports were forward, I thought they were up as well... Why do you have ports forward? What kind of car/truck is this in?

What subs is this for? 3 4" ports would get you around 32-33hz I think but that would change with sub displacement and bracing displacement.

There is no bracing which I'm sure is a problem. lol. I need some sort of guidance on it. & it is a box for two JL 15w6's.

& they are facing forward because the original plan was to have them facing towards the trunk and not the front, but it didn't exactly work out because the way the box is I wasn't able to get the subs in with the ports facing back also.

It is in an 03 jetta.

Just for the record I only got the dimensions and port length/area ideas from buck, he had never made a full design for me because I had forgot to get back to him.

I just don't want anyone to blame Buck for my ****** box.

Could be a few things. First off, cabin gain. Port forward wont get you as much low end gain, then the subs up will give good upper end gain. Then with your subs, I dont know those off the top of my head but normally the JLs like bigger boxes as "sq' oriented subs. You may have something of a small box causing premature rolloff.

& thank you surreal for your response, but I honestly cannot understand any of it. I know my box isn't too small for the subs though, its actually a cubic foot too big >.

You may or may not to. Take the time to properly plan out a system. I currently dont have a substage and wont be purchasing til I have a box design and all planned out for what I want to do. Would suggest the same.

Post a thread on what you really want to do with your system, the space you have, power and so on. We can better reccomend woofers for your objective and an enclosure type.

yeah, this system was just kind of a rushed thing. I plan to do much more in the future, once I get them sold. I cannot plan out a system properly because I am much too impatient, I just want to try a little of every brand/ every kind of sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.