Just finished my System. Learned Lots.

Participant count
  • Participant list

2therock
10+ year member

Hi Folks,

I am not a very experienced hand at building a better than OE sound system but I have learned. I would like to pass it on.

As you can see below in my profile I am now running a HIFonics Zeus 440, 110 X 4. I have the Cerwin Vegas paralleled on Channels 1 & 2. No front to rear fade necessary in my Extended Cab truck. I have the JL Audio Bridged across channels 3&4. The Vegas are rated at 100 watts max so the gain is backed off. The JL can handle the Amps max.

The results are VERY NICE Loud & Clean sound. I can Yell and not hear my own voice before any signs of distortion. Wow. One can burn calories just listening to music.

What I learned is You Get What You Pay For.

I started out with an Alpine 75 X 4 + 180 amp ( on-line purchase). I should have known by just the lightness of weight alone. The sound was all highs and too "Crispy" or "Bright". The sound got dirty fast. The sub channel would not even blow air out the 8" JL port. Awful. I am stuck with it now @ $170.00.

I had a 5 or 6 year old Crunch 40 X 4 amp, set up the same and it kicked ass and weighed twice as much. Should have never sold it. So I ate the Alpine to the basement shelf and bee-bopped to the local audio store and behold he has Crunch Amps. He said Crunch was better now that HiFonics bought them out. So I purchased a 60 X4 channel unit. It too was lighter than my original. It too was way too high and dirty. I was afraid I was again stuck with an amp with no return policy. I went to my friends house and installed my old amp. It kicked but. I went back to the local audio store and did a demo for the man. He gave me a store credit for the full amount and I purchased the HiFonics.

VERY HAPPY CAMPER.

2therock

well thats good that you learned somthin.i know before i got into this stuff i knew nothing but now i do know quite abit. now im hookin up systems for my friends and my older brother. im happy i decieded to get into this stuff too

The best ways to lwearn car audio:

5. Read up

4. Go to Comps

3. Stick around your local car audio shop and do a little work

2. Get on car audio forums

1. Do your own install

I am glad you learned a lot during the install as well as a great lesson...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.