just bought comp amp, need suggestions now

fearthisskyy
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
lax
Was looking for a JL 450/4 or Alpine PDX 4.150, but found a stellar deal on a PDX 2.150 for under $200 and bought it.

I was originally planning on running a DIY set, peerless exclusives w/ seas neo.

Should I hook up the Seas Neo to the HU,run the alpine to the exclusives and go active, or should I just find a nice component set and run it passive?

If so, what component set would be good for $200-300 and would compare to the DIY set I have in mind?

Was looking for a JL 450/4 or Alpine PDX 4.150, but found a stellar deal on a PDX 2.150 for under $200 and bought it.
I was originally planning on running a DIY set, peerless exclusives w/ seas neo.

Should I hook up the Seas Neo to the HU,run the alpine to the exclusives and go active, or should I just find a nice component set and run it passive?

If so, what component set would be good for $200-300 and would compare to the DIY set I have in mind?
SLC 265 Kicks would be a great choice for that price range....I wrote a really detailed comparision/review a couple weeks back via PM, did you ever get it?

SLC 265 Kicks would be a great choice for that price range....I wrote a really detailed comparision/review a couple weeks back via PM, did you ever get it?
nope, resend please? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

do you like your CMX better than your old SLC?

I haven't had the chance to demo any rainbow speakers, but for home audio I usually prefer the more laid-back, detailed, flat, non-bright sound (think Dynaudio), how do those compare?

nope, resend please? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
do you like your CMX better than your old SLC?

I haven't had the chance to demo any rainbow speakers, but for home audio I usually prefer the more laid-back, detailed, flat, non-bright sound (think Dynaudio), how do those compare?

I'll see if I still have what I sent you in my sent items folder.....it was a good 5-6 paragraph evaluation/comparison, so I hope so! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif LOL

I LOVE my CMX's, but I also like a more crisp tweeter, also. That's why I went with them instead of the SLC Kicks. The CAL25 titan tweeter suits my tastes perfectly.

When yo said "I usually prefer the more laid-back, detailed, flat, non-bright sound", I INSTANTLY thought SLC 265's or 265 Kicks. The silk tweeter in this set provides the exact sound you're looking for, in my opinion. It's very detailed and clear, but not harsh at all.

I really think you'd love the SLC Kicks....and they'd love you giving them 150w a side. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

kicks are suppose to be crossed at 80hz, i THINK my idmax should be able to play 80hz pretty well... still haven't installed/listened to it

kicks are suppose to be crossed at 80hz, i THINK my idmax should be able to play 80hz pretty well... still haven't installed/listened to it
Yeah, they'll play nice at 80Hz.....they recommend that frequency for optimum performance, and not to go any lower as it might damage the woofer. You can always bump it up to 100 or 125Hz without any problems. You just won't get as much of a midbass response up there as you would at 80Hz, that's all.

BTW, I found my old component review that I sent you...check your PM's, I just sent it to you again. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

I really think you'd love the SLC Kicks....and they'd love you giving them 150w a side. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
x2

sorry to break up the 2-way discussion haha

x2

sorry to break up the 2-way discussion haha
No worries, man! I was hoping other peeps would chime in. I'd much rather have a bunch of different views than a strong one-sided view from one person, if I was the original poster.

Bring on the opinions! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Here's a thought.. Maybe reconsider your original active idea..

Find another stellar deal on a smaller two-channel to run your tweets.

Tweets do not require huge gobs of power compared to your mids. Just clean power.

Then you don't have the expense of a set of passive crossovers to deal with, and you can still go DIY.. Besides, I want a review of that Seas, Peerless combo! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

which out of those will sound the most realistic do ya'll believe?
As far as sounding better, of course that's relative to the listener.....but I would think that the DIY setup you're thinking of putting together would sound better overall.

If you don't mind tweaking your system settings for a while, then you'll probably like the active rout. There's a lot of positive feedback from people who are using Peerless exclusives with the seas neo's.

So, if you're gonna want to have more control over your system as far as tuning goes, so the active route. If you're more inclined to not want to mess around too much with tweaking and adjusting your crossover/EQ settings, then get a set of the SLC Kicks installed, and start listening to some good music! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.