Jp23 amp. Pos wire touched ground

some dude

I myself was once president of Algeria
I wired my jp23 with a small jumper wire in the positive terminal that I would use to turn the amplifier on manually until I wired up a remote switched wire.
My GF was trying to put remote wire in and accidentally touched ground.
She said it just sparked once. The 60amp fuse for the amplifier sagged but didn't pop.
Amplifier is in protect mode.

Any tips on something I can try to remedy this situation or is a repair shop the only answer?

Replace the fuses completely and see if it works, if it doesn't, you've fried something almost certainly. Done it myself, it happens. Almost too easy to do sometimes. Be very careful if you do that, there may be a short in the amp that could get worse. Idk about a warranty or anything on the amp, but you could take the panel off and see if it's burned anywhere on the board.

Change the fuses and see what happens. If still nothing then just contact D4S and see if they can help you. Accidents happen unfortunately. I did the same with my Diamond amp and luckily one of the external fuses popped and it was a easy fix and still works like a charm.

Change the fuses and see what happens. If still nothing then just contact D4S and see if they can help you. Accidents happen unfortunately. I did the same with my Diamond amp and luckily one of the external fuses popped and it was a easy fix and still works like a charm.

I did it once on a brand new amp that was somebody else's and fried it right in front of the customer, LOL. Oh man, "what happened Buck?" eeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr "sorry boss" LOL

There's usually large diodes on the power input section to protect against something like this. You could give those a look.

Yeah swap the fuse with a new one and see what happens, I’ve seen fuses that look reasonably okay not work, and if it looks questionable, it might just be. Having a cheap volt meter helps troubleshooting, even a Harbor Freight cheapie would be better than nothing for quick voltage / resistance tests.

I’m trying to understand how shorting the main power wire to ground would fry the amp. Seems you had a small wire connected to the power terminal and would insert it into the remote terminal to turn it on? I did amp repair for some years, did that all the time for testing (I don't recall if I ever shorted to ground, but probably) and as long as she didn’t wire the amp backwards entirely, it shouldn’t hurt anything shorting the "power wire" to the ground wire, other than possibly damaging fuse at battery. Now if you shorted a speaker terminal to B+, or B+ to RCA shields, that’s a different story and can hurt amps.

I guess I’m just trying to understand exactly what happened.

At any rate, hope its just the fuse.

Yeah swap the fuse with a new one and see what happens, I’ve seen fuses that look reasonably okay not work, and if it looks questionable, it might just be. Having a cheap volt meter helps troubleshooting, even a Harbor Freight cheapie would be better than nothing for quick voltage / resistance tests.

I’m trying to understand how shorting the main power wire to ground would fry the amp. Seems you had a small wire connected to the power terminal and would insert it into the remote terminal to turn it on? I did amp repair for some years, did that all the time for testing (I don't recall if I ever shorted to ground, but probably) and as long as she didn’t wire the amp backwards entirely, it shouldn’t hurt anything shorting the "power wire" to the ground wire, other than possibly damaging fuse at battery. Now if you shorted a speaker terminal to B+, or B+ to RCA shields, that’s a different story and can hurt amps.

I guess I’m just trying to understand exactly what happened.

At any rate, hope its just the fuse.

You got it right. A small jumper wire screwed in with the main power wire that I would insert in the remote terminal. I replaced the sagging fuse (distribution block, 60amp) and no change. The main fuse near battery is 350amp I believe (didn't change that).
Jp23 sits in protect. Interior speaker amp works fine.
I wasn't there when it happened. I might have her show, but from what she said I'm figuring my jumper wire touched ground briefly.

Yeah unfortunately she found out the hard way. I always remove the fuse to my battery when messing with my amps. I have been in car audio for over 30 years, I can admit, I have done it once or twice.
Agreed. I always remove the fuse in the distro block if I’m messing with my amps. Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way lol

You got it right. A small jumper wire screwed in with the main power wire that I would insert in the remote terminal. I replaced the sagging fuse (distribution block, 60amp) and no change. The main fuse near battery is 350amp I believe (didn't change that).
Jp23 sits in protect. Interior speaker amp works fine.
I wasn't there when it happened. I might have her show, but from what she said I'm figuring my jumper wire touched ground briefly.
Sounds like she grounded out the Remote-power/jumper wire to the main ground wire/. That will blow the power supply. You will need to have that amp repaired, or replace the amplifier.

Do any of yaull know if the jp23 amplifier is all of the speaker outputs connected inside of the amplifier, or do you have to connect each subwoofer to both outputs? Seems like I'm not getting full power. I have (2) Skar sdr 12's hooked up to it, in the pre-fab box already wired up to 1-ohm. Only has 2 wires coming out of the terminal, one positive, one negative, both subs are connected inside of the box. Maybe both need to be connected separately to the 2 channels for full power, IDK. set my gain with a multimeter, 34-35 and I have to turn the bass knob all way up to get the output that my Pioneer gm9701 done with its bass knob on zero. Any ideas appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...